Sold iPhone 3G, need to buy a new one, will AT&T sell it to me at full price?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thiagos, Aug 29, 2008.

1. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

I was hoping someone could help me out. I sold my iPhone 3G on eBay last week, which I bought one month ago. I decided to get the white one instead, will AT&T sell it to me at full price $499.00 or they have some sort of clause that if I had or sold my iPhone, I would not be able to buy it from them?
    Thanks in advance.

2. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

how much did u get for it?

3. carrjar macrumors member

Full Price

Yes, you will pay the full price of $499. Each line is eligible for 1 subsidized phone per line every two years. The only way to get the $299 price is to add a line.

4. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

I went to AT&T and they wanted to charge me $699.00 for each phone. Is that right? Sounds like a rip off should I report them to headquarters?
    \

5. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Sounds right to me. That would be the full, unsubsidized price IIRC. The $199.00/$299.00 was the upgrade eligible subsidized price. The $399.00/$499.00 was the early upgrade subsidized price. The $599.00/$699.00 was the no contract price.

As you have already used either the upgrade eligible or the early upgrade subsidized pricing why should you be able to use it again within ~30 days of your originally purchasing the iPhone?

So to answer your question, no I don't think you should report them because there would be no point. As Bob Barker would say, "The Price is Right!"

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

No, you should report yourself to AT&Ts website. The no-commitment price for a 16GB 3G iPhone is $699, no one is trying to rip you off. $499 is the early upgrade fee for AT&T customers who are not yet upgrade eligible to get an iPhone. Since you already got one, you are not eligible for the subsidized price or the early upgrade price since you already upgraded.

7. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

8. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Not suggesting the OP sold his iPhone for any reason other than what he has said...

But, I am guessing that this may throw a wrench into the plans of those that are thinking of or have sold their iPhone 3G on eBay or CL to make a little extra coin and then planned on buying a new one for $399/$499 from AT&T.

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Yikes, even if you break your phone or drop it in a puddle--that means you will pay $699 for a 16gb replacement? That's the scenario that would happen to me--klutz I am :)

Oddly, I went onto AT&T website while signed into my account and clicked on the link to buy a phone(I was thinking of returning the iphone and getting another because of some problems I am having) At the top it said of course that I was not upgrade eligible--which is true. However, they happened to list the iphone down below and the 16gb was $499.

10. wreckshop macrumors 6502

go to an apple store and tell them you lost your phone. They will sell you new one for $399/$499. I know this for a fact.