Sold iPhone 4S but didn't made a factory reset

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Achillias, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Achillias macrumors regular

Hello guys,

I got a little problem. I sold my iPhone 4S today to a person. The only problem is i forgot to reset my iPhone. The user suggested to use the phone before buying it. So i gave him the phone to test it out but i forgot to clean every data when i sold it. Now my is question is can he still read my Gmail or Twitter messages after i changed the password. Will the setting ''push'' still give him new notifications when i changed the password. Is it also possible to read the history of all my mails while he does not have the new password.

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Perform a remote wipe via iCloud is my suggestion.

3. Achillias thread starter macrumors regular

Problem is i never activated iCloud so that will not be possible.

4. troop231 macrumors 603

He can still read the old emails that were cached locally on the device, but will not receive new emails since you reset your password.

If you're really worried, I would try to meet up with the buyer again.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

OP, I would do this if AT ALL possible.

6. Achillias thread starter macrumors regular

Saved his phone number on my iPhone :( don't have the smartphone anymore so can't call him. Ah well aslong he can't get new messages that will be fine. Does it aswell count for Twitter, when you change your password the account which has been logged in will be logged out on the device?

7. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I'm alway bewildered why people don't setup iCloud. If you don't want to use all the services, that's fine but at least activate Find My iPhone--it's part of the initial setup and ITS FREE!!

I'm sorry but I have little sympathy for anyone who skips over this feature because there really is no valid excuse for not using it.

8. Achillias thread starter macrumors regular

Not need, just answer the questions or leave this topic.

9. tbayrgs, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I respectfully disagree. Most people come here to solve a problem, learn how to do something--exactly why you started the thread. And chances are, someone else with the same problem will find this later. My point is that this situation can be avoided and it will hopefully prevent them from making the same mistake you did.

There's a lesson to be learned here--don't skip over setting up iCloud and Find My iPhone.

Sorry if you took it personally--wasn't directing it specifically at you but rather at the problem you encountered.

10. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Likely he restored the iPhone so he could use it with his own accounts.
    It's good to worry, but I'd think most purchasing iPhones are doing so for their own needs, not to get into your email and stuff.

Good to be cautious though.

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

If trustworthy, I would imagine the Buyer would reset as new anyway. Can't imagine anyone not doing this and still have a prior owners data on the phone. Were your contacts still intact?

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Don't forget to change all of the passwords to stuff you accessed on your phone. Facebook, twitter, email, etc.

13. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

+1 to this. People should have more care over their private data and not moan when things like this happen when they skip things like iCloud find my iphone.