Sold iPhone on Ebay and Buyer claims its internally damaged but wasn't when sent.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by camdact101, Mar 1, 2011.

1. camdact101 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone!
    So I sold a perfectly working 3gs white 16GB iPhone on ebay. I was using it to the day before I sent it and have never had any problems with it.
    Now all of a sudden a paypal dispute case has suddenly been opened by the buyer because "The iPhone turns off when battery is low, very disapointed want money back now", so I replied as kindly as possible suggesting it be charged! But they maintain I have internal damaged the phone and haven't declared it. The reply back was if a refund is not given a complaint will go to fair trading.

I said a refund will ONLY be given if iPhone is sent back via Australia Post through cash on delivery (COD) I thought this was a fair option as its a safe/fair way for both of us. But now Im worried they will not take this option up, but I will not give a refund without seeing the problematic iPhone with my own eyes.

BUT THE iPHONE WAS PERFECT WHEN I SENT IT!

The case is still going, but this is my first ever dispute through ebay/paypal and to tell you the truth I have no idea how to go about this, what to do or say.

Please help!

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well duh the phone turns off when the battery is low. Sounds like the guy is trying to scam you.

Unfortunately, 99% of the time, PayPal sides with the buyers. I don't expect the trained monkeys PayPal hires to resolve disputes to actually read the dispute, use some common sense, and rule in your favor.

3. r00ky macrumors member

yg17 speaks the truth. eBay and Paypal have a crazy track record for siding with the buyers even without the facts.

Do what you can to accommodate the buyer to protect future sales/reputation.

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

The buyer has you over a barrel, thanks to new policies from eBay. Unless you're a Power Seller (and even then sometimes not) you don't stand a chance, and Paypal will most likely give him a complete refund without stipulating he return it. You can, basically, buy anything through Paypal and then have a fit and they give you your money back. eBay is rife with dishonest people trying to get things for nothing. eBay also more or less forces you to accept Paypal, then double charges you for it - but amazingly escapes any responsibility to monopoly law.

eBay is about shafting the seller, plain and simple.

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I don't think I'll ever sell an iPhone on ebay for this very reason. Way too many idiots as it is. I'd rather deal face to face, take the cash, give the phone, and go.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If he wrote that the phone shuts off when the battery is low, I would hope this would mean you're going to be ok. However, as luck would have it and as others have said, eBay is about the buyer.

I've taken far less cash for goods sold outside of eBay for this very reason. While I would love to make another $50-$100 on something, I just don't have the time or patience to deal with people like that.

I hope it works out, any pics of the phone while on? The last electronic device I sold (camera) I took a video of me using it. I sold it on Craigslist, got about $75 less than eBay going rate, but I have had no issues with that sale. Keeping the funds is far more important than getting more money.

7. camdact101 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea I will do for sure.
    As long as I have my iPhone back the refund will be given, but whether or not the buyer/ebay/paypal will accept this who knows, I mean do they HAVE to send it back for a refund to be given? Common sense is that a consequence of a flat battery is the iPhone switiching off, but hey what do I know?!

8. camdact101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that!
    Very clever idea, however I only have one image of it on and it really is only of the screen so it could look like any old iPhone! First and LAST time I use ebay for selling!