Sold iPhone question

Harthag

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I've had it with Ebay and stupid people. I sold my mint condition unlocked 5S last week and the person emailed me a bit ago that she paid X dollars for a fully functional phone and it doesn't include a SIM card, so she's angry, and asks me to send her a SIM. Really?? I emailed her back that it has nothing to do with functionality of the phone. Just put in your current SIM or go to carrier store and get one, simple. I will be so pissed if I get negative feedback or a BS complaint about this. I thought I described everything plain as day in the description, but I didn't expressly state no SIM card is included...I thought that was common sense and actually stated somewhere in Ebay's guide that you should remove all personal data, etc... . Maybe I'm the idiot here for not stating "no SIM included" , my listing did expressly state "for sale is used VZW 5S." I've sold many old phones on Ebay before without issue. Am I in the wrong here? I really hate people. :(

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
I've had it with Ebay and stupid people. I sold my mint condition unlocked 5S last week and the person emailed me a bit ago that she paid X dollars for a fully functional phone and it doesn't include a SIM card, so she's angry, and asks me to send her a SIM. Really?? I emailed her back that it has nothing to do with functionality of the phone. Just put in your current SIM or go to carrier store and get one, simple. I will be so pissed if I get negative feedback or a BS complaint about this. I thought I described everything plain as day in the description, but I didn't expressly state no SIM card is included...I thought that was common sense and actually stated somewhere in Ebay's guide that you should remove all personal data, etc... . Maybe I'm the idiot here for not stating "no SIM included" , my listing did expressly state "for sale is used VZW 5S." I've sold many old phones on Ebay before without issue. Am I in the wrong here? I really hate people. :(
Hope she doesn't dispute the transaction saying you sent her a bar of soap... Then she'll keep the money and the phone.

Been an eBay member 14 years and I go elsewhere to sell. They favor the buyers 100% in any disputes and the fees are outrageous.

I sold my 5s on Craigslist last week... Met at Verizon store... Confirmed phone functionality for buyer... $450 cash... No fees... No BS.

Good luck OP.

Harthag

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Hope she doesn't dispute the transaction saying you sent her a bar of soap... Then she'll keep the money and the phone.

Been an eBay member 14 years and I go elsewhere to sell. They favor the buyers 100% in any disputes and the fees are outrageous.

I sold my 5s on Craigslist last week... Met at Verizon store... Confirmed phone functionality for buyer... $450 cash... No fees... No BS.

Good luck OP.
Thanks. I did transfer AppleCare+ to her. I have my original receipt, my email to her with a PDF of the receipt, and my email to Apple and Apple's response that they transferred the warranty to the buyer. If need be I'll get the shipping receipt + proof of insurance from UPS Store. Even with all of this plus like 11 photos of the phone in the listing, buyer still wins?

**Edit- I'm pretty sure I know the answer. :(

uchosen

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
That is one thing I always disclose - NO SIM card included. You can never tell with people on eBay.

Harthag

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
That is one thing I always disclose - NO SIM card included. You can never tell with people on eBay.
Actually, I just looked at the photos again from the listing. The main photo of the phone shows it powered on with the standard "no sim inserted" splashed across the home screen. Any help to me at all?

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I think it will be ok. Just talk to her calmly and tell her that you had to keep your personal sim card and to please stop at her carrier store and they will give her a new sim. Be nice as pie. I'm sure she just over reacted and once she gets her sim, she will go away. Fingers crossed for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.