Sold my 4s to a friend - he can't seem to get it activated.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
We both have verizon. He spoke to them and everything should be set up on their end but the phone was reset and he can't get past the apple activation. Just says can't be activated and when he hooks it up to itunes it gives him an error.

Is there something I need to do before he's able to activate it on his line?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Just for the record, did you disassociate the iPhone from everything Apple on your end? (ID, iMessage, remove from devices at your Apple account?) Does he need a new SIM card?

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
Just for the record, did you disassociate the iPhone from everything Apple on your end? (ID, iMessage, remove from devices at your Apple account?) Does he need a new SIM card?
I haven't done those things. Do I need to contact apple to do that?

Thrones

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
Have him log into his verizon account. Then tell him to click the Activate or Switch device option From here have him enter the phones IMEI number and it should activate. I had the exact same issue he is having when i activated my 4S after having a Galaxy Nexus.

BlueKhufu

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
We both have verizon. He spoke to them and everything should be set up on their end but the phone was reset and he can't get past the apple activation. Just says can't be activated and when he hooks it up to itunes it gives him an error.

Is there something I need to do before he's able to activate it on his line?
Were you running beta ios6 by any chance? The last beta expired yesterday and will do the "can't be activated" thing. I know it's a long shot but figured I'd throw it out there. I hope you get it figured out. Best of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.