Sold My BlackBook, Then Got the Air - Total Cost: $500

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by franko v, Nov 20, 2010.

1. franko v, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

franko v macrumors member

franko v

Sharing a Success Story:

I am still slapping my face to see if what happened just happened.

I am a training consultant who has not had a solid gig in over 18 months... well I finally am about to sign a very nice contract, and I wanted to get the new Air (13", 4GB Ram, 128 storage) for the project.

My wife said I FIRST needed to sell my Black MacBook, mid-2007, specs 2.16 Ghz, upgraded 500 HDD, upgraded 4 GB Ram, and a 4-month old battery from Apple Store (they replaced my swollen one for free).

Well, I tried Craigslist for a week at a price I knew was high ($900), but was hoping against hope. I included in the ad that I would listen to reasonable offers. My ad also stated my profession, the pristine condition of the MacBook, would include a one-hour tutorial for a new Mac buyer, and posted several pix. NO LUCK.

Knowing that I meet with my client on Monday, I pleaded to my wife last Wednesday if I could buy the Air now, and I would promise to sell the MacBook at a lower price (but not lower than $500) -

So I ordered the Mac Air that evening, then a few minutes later I put another ad on Craigslist. It had pretty much the same info, accept a different headline: "Black MacBook - Original Owner Wants to Sell Immediately = $800)... I even wrote that I was willing to listen to reasonable offers.

Then after posting, I changed my mind about reasonable offers. I wanted to see if I would get a bite first before accepting reasonable offers.

BITE!

Literally less than an hour on Craigslist, I had an interested person whose husband's PC computer just crashed, and he decided to try a Mac because of the lack of viruses. He needed it by Saturday because he is a dj and had a wedding that day! (Today in fact!)

So that plus selling the OEM hdd from that MacBook to a different person (but on the same day) - I now had over $840 to put directly toward the Air.

So to recap, bought Air on Wed, sold MacBook on Thu, got Air on Fri!

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY:D

My advice to anyone selling on Craigslist - write it as if you are seriously interested in purchasing the product yourself. Include pix and humor! It helps!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Congrats! Black MacBooks are becoming quite worthy nowadays since they aren't made anymore. 800$ is a great price you got off it.

BTW, I ordered the exactly same MBA yesterday

3. franko v thread starter macrumors member

franko v

I had done some research on Mac2sell.net (which I found the link here on MacRumors forums) - and it said I could get about $600 for it...

But I had just paid over $180 this year for the HDD and RAM!!!

So I thought I'd give it a shot!

Hole-in-one!

You will love the Air - I DO RECOMMEND using setup assistant when transferring your info. Migration Assistant messed up a lot of my settings - took me all night and this morning to fix.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I will transfer my files manually. I have over 3TB of data and around 400GB in my iMac so I can't fit everything in the Air :p Too much useless data so I'll just pick the files I need (few gigs of music and then some pics, others will stay in my iMac and external HDs). Apps I will install manually as well since I have so many apps that are not needed in MBA (e.g. CS4 and CS5). Don't want to fill it with crap

5. urkel macrumors 68030

I list my Apple stuff every generation and usually get 90-110% what I paid for it. I used to feel guilty when my EBay sales went for higher than expected (or valued) but eventually I realized most people simply enjoy the chase of "perceived" value from auctions and classifieds. Especially Apple stuff which is incorrectly thought of as "indestructible" and "problem free". I gave full disclosure with closeup pics of the plastic cracking on my black macbook and it still sold for more than its worth.

Personally I'd never buy a computer without a warranty but apparently tons of people will.

6. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Glad it worked out. I've always been impressed with the way that Apple's hardware holds its resale value. Even the G4 iBooks are still going for $200 used. I don't even wanna know what my Thinkpad from that generation is worth...

7. franko v thread starter macrumors member

franko v

And the news gets better...

I just got off the phone with MacMall and they will pricematch another company's (portableone.com) price.

So knock of another $20 off my Air!

So... very... happy...