Resolved Sold my iMac. What have I done!? Please help me choose a monitor.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by adamk77, Mar 27, 2019.

1. adamk77, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019

adamk77 macrumors 6502a

adamk77

I just dropped off my 27" iMac at the post office and it's on the way to a (hopefully) happy new owner. Until I purchase a Mac Mini and a new screen, I've hooked up my work assigned MBP to a LG 27UD68P 4K monitor.

I didn't know what I had until it was gone. The iMac's 27" screen was amazing and it has spoiled me! As I'm typing this staring at the 4K monitor, I can't help but think "What have I done???" It isn't as sharp and everything feels dull. I hope that within time, I will be able to adjust to my new reality.

One of the reasons I sold my 27" iMac was because I wanted a large 43" monitor or TV as my display, operating in full 4K resolution for the extra real estate. Having just experienced the before and after of the iMac's 27" 5K screen, I am looking for help choosing a new monitor that will be somewhat close to the brightness and the punch of the iMac's screen. I know it won't be possible to get the same quality, but please help me choose one that will come the closest.

My criteria is that it must be large enough to run it at full 4K resolution without text being too small. I do not want to go bigger than 43" as it be will be too big on my desk. My budget is around $600.

I've narrowed it down to these 3 contenders. If you have other suggestions, please let me know.
    1. Link: LG 43UD79-B
    2. Link: Sonly KD43X720E (Is there a newer model out? B&H is saying it's discontinued)
    3. Link: Samsung UN43NU7100
    If there are current owners of the above, I'd really appreciate feedback. I think all 3 above have acceptable input lag. I'm looking for text quality and brightness. I don't care about color accuracy.

Thanks!

2. F-Train macrumors 65816

Sony and Samsung provide three year warranties. LG provides 12 months.

3. dimme macrumors 68000

What are your color gamut requirements? I have always had a good experience with Dell Monitors. But I also here good things about BenQ.

4. adamk77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

adamk77

I guess I don't really care about that either. As long as it's good enough to watch movies and edit non-professional personal photos.

As long as the Dell and BenQ are in my price range, but I have a feeling they won't be.

5. iJohnnyG macrumors regular

Not sure if this'll help at all however my Mac mini arrived today, as did my LG27UK600. I've gone from a 5K iMac and am pretty pleased with it all.

Not overly concerned about 12 month warranty, I've never had any issues with LG products in the past.

6. Spectrum macrumors 65816

Spectrum

Try turning off font smoothing in preferences...

7. adamk77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

adamk77

That's awesome. Two new toys in a single day!

I haven't had any issues with LG monitors either. I'm on a 27" LG right now now (27UD68P) and I've had it for a few years.

Costco made my decision easy. They're selling the 43" LG for $499 (next cheapest was on Amazon for $565). I just purchased it. It will make returning it easier too if it doesn't work out.

8. gusping macrumors 6502a

43" monitor? Brave. I have the LG27UK650 (same as the 600 just with an adjustable stand), and is 2 generations newer than the LG you have. No issues with it so far. Works great with my 2018 Mac mini, PS4 and Xbox.

9. adamk77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

adamk77

Great to hear many rocking LGs without issues.

I tried to use my current 27" at 4K, but the text was too small. I'm hoping 43" is the right size for me to use it at the full 4K resolution. In my mind, it feels to big, too. So it will definitely be interesting.

10. F-Train, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019

F-Train macrumors 65816

Yes, good to see that three people here haven't had any problems. I suggest you do some broader research. Also, there's a recent YouTube video in which the person who made it talks about how his rather expensive LG monitor bricked it at 14 months, leaving him with no recourse and uneconomic repair options. There is also a participant in this site who says, based on personal experience with LG, that he won't purchase its monitors. Indeed, he posted to that effect within the last ten days.

LG is a popular brand. Personally, I don't think that most purchasers even check warranty periods before buying. LG's warranty is two years shorter than the industry standard. The exception is the two monitors that it makes for Apple. Presumably, those monitors are made to higher quality standards. Just be aware of this, and maybe do some research. My conclusion, after looking at LG's monitors more closely, was "Thanks, but no thanks".

I do know that one participant in this site, who was aware of the warranty issue, addressed it by purchasing third party consumer insurance. That's an option. Some people find that option attractive, others (myself among them) have no interest in trying to resolve a problem with a third party consumer insurance company.

11. adamk77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

adamk77

Hmm, thanks for the heads up. That's concerning. I did purchase it with a credit card that extends the warranty, but I'm sure it's a bit more hassle than just having a longer manufacturer warranty.

The problem is that I'm not sure what the best way is to cut through all the noise and to find empirical data about the reliability of the brands. When I search on Google, I see people complaining about all the brands - Sony, LG, Samsung, etc. And even when it is still under warranty, they are dealing with very poor customer service (for all these major brands). I hear good things about the Dell warranty experience, but the Dell 43" that I see is almost 2x the cost of this LG.

12. F-Train macrumors 65816

I didn't realise that you'd already made the purchase. Sounds like you got a good price. As you suggest, check your credit card coverage, and maybe see what COSTCO offers in the way of third party insurance.

13. EightyTwenty macrumors 6502a

What you are noticing is the matte coating. It’s nothing to do with the resolution itself. Matte screens make content look grainy and washed out compared to glossy screens like the iMac.

You are screwed, because nobody makes glossy screens anymore besides Apple. Even Dell only makes a few 1080p glossy monitors.

This is the main reason I plan to buy an iMac. I could get a way more powerful PC for the same price, but a glossy screen is worth the extra $ to me.

14. adamk77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

adamk77

That's really interesting and has only crossed my mind in passing. Come to think of it, I've always liked glossy monitors, too. Whenever I read about people complaining about glossy screens or praising matte screens, I didn't get it because I've always preferred glossy screens.

15. mattwestside macrumors member

Couldn't agree more! I went from a Thunderbolt Display to a BenQ PD3200U (32" 4K) to an HP Z32 (also 32" 4K) and they both looked like crap. My eyes were accustomed to the 'glossy' panel from the TB display. So I sold them and went back to one. They can be had for about $300-400 in good condition on CL. My hope is that Apple finally releases an update to this display later this year.

16. F-Train macrumors 65816

Having recently worked with Asus's PA32UC display, and its HDR mode in particular, you guys going on about matte vs glossy are in for a hell of a surprise. HDR is coming, and it's coming fast.

17. Spectrum, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019

Spectrum macrumors 65816

Spectrum

Illyama make a 27inch 5K glossy screen. They are currently the only vendor other than Apple that is selling a 5K screen.
    It is approx half the price of the LG option...so I don't have a clear idea of the relative quality of the panel.

Here: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-...4ms-440cd-m2-80m1-displayportx2-hdmix3-silver
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2019 ---
    Can you expand on this? In what way does glossy vs matte affect HDR?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2019 ---
    I was also a matte proponent. The original wave of glossy MacBook Pro and iMac screens were awful in my opinion due to too much reflection. The glossy screens have improved generation in generation in my view, to the point where I now like the glossy displays on both the MacBook Pro and the 4K and 5K iMac. I currently still use matte screens plugged in to my 2018 mini though, and won't likely replace them until they finally die (currently 8 years old).

18. shaunp macrumors 68000

You don't need to run a Mac at native resolution to get the benefits of 4K - it scales everything correctly. That way you can have text and graphics elements that are readable but a video will play at 4K. Windows and Linux are still way behind Mac OS in this respect.

19. adamk77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

adamk77

That's an interesting screen. I can't seem to find it readily available in the US -- or at least my quick search on Google didn't bring anything up. I found one on Amazon but it's selling for close to $1200. Definitely an interesting screen if you're in Europe or Japan.

Right, I do that now with my 27". What I want is a lot of extra real estate. Running a 43" at full 4K at 1:1 pixel mapping, I'm hoping to have lot more space and still have visible text.

20. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP:

Since you bought at Costco, don't they offer an "extended warranty" (up to 3 years additional after the LG warranty) for a relatively small amount of money?

Might be worth seeing if you can "tack that on".

21. a2jack macrumors regular

a2jack

Just keep in mind, LG was for years the bottom of the low end TV brands, and always the lowest price.

Their philosophy of making them fast and selling them cheep is not likely to have changed now that they are in the monitor business.

IMO, LG is not a good long term choice.

No "Silk Purse out of a pigs ear" LOL a2

22. adamk77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

adamk77

Yup, you're right. I may depending on how much it costs. My credit card automatically extends the warranty, so it may be enough if monitors are covered under it. Last time I purchased an extended warranty was an all inclusive accidental warranty on a Toshiba laptop and it was a nightmare. Since that experience, I've never considered Toshibas ever again. I'll have to look into how good the Costco warranty service is. It'd probably be good to know which has the better service.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Fortunately, Costco has a good return policy so I should have ample time to think about it while I'm using it.

23. gusping macrumors 6502a

Will that 5K monitor work on a 2018 Mac mini? I know some do and some don't. There was a Philips one that didn't work. I assume you just use two diplayport cables and it's fine?

24. seble macrumors 6502a

This would suggest otherwise:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iiyama-XB2...show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews