Sold my release day iPad 1 for a used White iPad 2 did I F-up?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrXiro, Dec 17, 2011.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I put my 16gb iPad 1 on Amazon last week for 400 thinking that there was no way anyone was going to pay that amount for the first gen iPad. Ended up selling it and getting $367 after all was said and done (shipping, insurance and Amazon fees). Which I was happily surprised to get this late in the reselling game.

Anyway I was originally planning on getting an iPad 3 (whenever that is) but couldn't resist a white 32gb iPad 2 with a case for $555 shipped... so I went for it. Doing the math it is about the same price as a refurbished iPad 2 of the same specs from Apple but no 6 months no interest financing and no case.

I really do miss having an iPad but I was getting tired of it being laggy on web pages and can't even play the original Infinite Blade without crashing. I had to restart the iPad every time I wanted to play and if I did anything else again I would have to restart again.

Did I do good or should I have just waited until next spring for the newest? I actually still have time to cancel my order so I can if I made the wrong choice.

2. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

There is no right or wrong here. I have to say that I am getting pretty annoyed with my first generation iPad as well. Ever since upgrading to the new version of ios, it's sluggish, crashes frequently and is really frustrating to use - not at all like the old version of ios. I guess the new version just takes more horsepower than the first gen has.

I am waiting for the next version whenever that comes out. Having said that, my wife wants an iPad. Normally, I'd give her the first gen when I pick up the new one, but I think she'd be as frustrated as I am so, I bought her a new one for Christmas. When I get a new one, my kids will get the first gen one.

3. MrXiro, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

What do you think though about the price of the iPad 2 I got? It ends up being about 5 dollars more than an refurbished 32gb iPad. or the same price as a new 16gb iPad after tax and "recycle fee".

Basically I guess I'm asking if I did ok getting a 32gb iPad 2 for $555 shipped or if I'm being impulsive and should just chill for the next few months and pick up a new 16gb iPad 3 for the same price?

4. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

If you have something to use temporarily, I'd definitely wait for the iPad 3. I'm waiting to buy it, and although it will be my first iPad, I did sell quite a few video games and my old iPod Touch to save money for it. It's the holidays, I'm sure we're all ancy to get our hands on a new gadget!!! Waiting will prove worthwhile, trust me.

5. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Just my iPhone. Guess I have a small case of holiday-itis. Want new toys.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Subjective matter which means it depends on you. You haven't provided any info on whether or not this woud be a good decision for you. "Good" isn't a one-size-fits-all matter. The only criteria you have provided is that you were tired of the lag of the iPad. The iPad 2 definitely has better specs so it's good in that regard. If you have any additional criteria then please supply it if you want feedback.

You've provided no information for us to make a recommendation on whether or not it would seem to be a good idea to wait for the next model. You should probably browse the countless other "Should I wait?" threads unless you can provide more information. Again, these aren't one-size-fits-all matters.

You've supplied the facts. Are you happy with the price? I paid full price for mine. I'd be happy with refurb pricing on a new product. Again, as I said, it's a subjective matter. Whether I think it's a good price is an entirely different matter then whether you or anyone else thinks it's a good price. There are those who wouldn't any price for an iPad. You need to make such assessments based on your own preferences, needs and situation.

7. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Do you enjoy going onto threads just to be annoying?

I've owned an original iPad like I stated in the original post, the A5 chip will run Infinite Blade which I already stated that my A4 rocking iPad 1 did not do without crashing. This question clearly is from a standpoint of best bang for the buck. Or do you need it spelled out for you?

I WANT TO MAKE THE MOST OF MY MONEY I AM SPENDING SHOULD I BUY A DISCOUNTED iPAD 2 OR WAIT A NEW iPAD 3?

Asking if I got a good deal may be subjective but I'm asking for YOUR opinions not stated facts. I figure a FORUM is a good place to ask as a group of my peers... but clearly not, often times because trolling these forums are plenty of D-bags who think I would like to hear them lecture and not answer my query.:rolleyes:

8. phishindsn macrumors regular

Like many have said before, "technology is never an investment, tomorrow there will be something new"

9. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Hey, I'm feeling Holiday-itis too. haha

So if you don't have an actual computer as a temporary device, then I'd say you are just fine. If you are feeling unsure about yourself after a couple weeks, your used iPad can probably be sold back for the same price you bought it for in the next couple months.

Was it bought on Amazon? If so, how do returns work for it?

10. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

I have just picked up an iPad 2 as well. I knew at the time that there was an iPad 3 due for release next year. So, what? 2013 will see iPad 4 possibly?

It never ends. That's why I won't be upgrading my iPad 2 to the next device. Until the time comes like in your situation that my device no longer meets my needs, then I upgrade.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be pretty happy about now. :cool:

People who upgrade every year, I don't get. I'm not one of those people who must have the very latest technology on launch day etc. If you are - then wait. But considering you just sold your iPad 1 - I'd say, you're not one of those people..

Do answer your question in a nut-shell - no, you did not F-UP. But that is my opinion.

11. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I didn't say I want to "make money" I want to make the most of my money as in stretch my dollar further.

----------

Yeah I didn't care too much about having an iPad 2 at release. It wasn't that much of an upgrade. But since my iPad started crashing I figured it was a good time to move on and get rid of it to get the iPad 3 but then I see decent deals for current tech. Didn't want to pass it by. My original intention was to wait for the 3 though.

----------

Returns on amazon to amazon is free and easy. But returns to marketplace sellers as is this case is like returning on eBay or Craigslist. Which is more of a 'don't count on it' but there have been cases of it happening.

12. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

i think if you wanted to stretch your dollars the furthest, then you should have waited.

the fact that you were prepared to wait until the ipad3 was announced seems to tell me that you have an iphone or laptop that would have filled in to take over some of the ipad functionality that you were losing.

it wasn't necessarily a bad thing to buy the ipad2 but you could have gotten a lot more more bang for the buck by waiting. if the ipad3 wasn't going to be your cup of tea, you'll always have plenty of opportunities to either pick up an ipad2 from apple at lesser cost by then or bought pre-owned [from what will likely be a ton of ipad2 owners looking to sell].

it's pretty much going to be a buyers market for the ipad2 when the ipad3 hits the street (unless apple drops the ball completely on the ipad3 feartures).

if you have a chance to cancel the ipad2 buy, i'd do it.

13. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

My biggest worry is that apple will raise prices of the iPad 3. With a newer high res panal comes more cost to them which they may pass onto us the consumer. They did it with the 8gb iPod touch 4 for its first year. I really hope not. I have since cancelled my iPad purchase. The 32gb is overkill for me anyway.

14. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

for me, the battery life will be one of the most important aspects on the ipad3. if the new ipad doesn't have at least the same battery life as the ipad2, then i may elect to hang onto my ipad2 for a while longer. probably a lot longer!

the other thing about upgrading is that i would sure hate to lose my 4.3.3 JB.

15. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Personally, I would have kept the iPad and would have sold it right before Apple's next media event. I wouldn't have sold your 1st gen iPad to get an iPad 2 at this time. iPad 3 will most likely be here within less than three months (perhaps two months, if they are announcing it in late February).

There is one advantage, though, you can still sell this iPad 2 right before the media event and still get an iPad 3.

16. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I actually got a heck of a lot more selling it than I expected though... who would have thought someone would pay 400 bucks for an iPad 1?

17. JBZieman macrumors newbie

Holy crap.
    Fish or cut bait. Are you looking for the approval of others? Yeah. you got a great price on your ipad 2. Will the ipad 3 be better? probably. Will apple raise the price on the new one? who knows, but it probably won't be much, seeing as how the kindle fire is kicking the hell out of the low-end price range. Apple has to remain at least marginally competitive. At the end of the day, the only person who knows if you can hold out for the next bigger better without getting the jitters is you.

What really makes me mad is that you totally tear into people like takeshi74, who gave a well reasoned response that, to paraphrase, is that we don't know anything about your situation and therefore can hardly provide advice. You responded to him like a total jerk. Nice work.

The iPad is, more or less, an expensive toy. I love mine, and find it extremely convenient for reading articles for school. However, if it disappeared I'd be fine with my laptop and phone. (I'll make a slight retraction to that by saying that it was completely invaluable while I was working in the bush over the summer due to its GSM hookup) The new one will be out in a couple of months, and if you wait, you'll stave off the inevitable obsolescence of the unit for another year, or if the iPad 2 still looks good, its prices will probably fall.

You definitely sold your iPad at the right time, you got a good deal on the iPad 2, but (as is almost always the case) you'll have more options if you choose to send the thing back and wait a bit. So... is that the right answer for you? only you can decide. Don't be a jerk to people that are trying to help.

18. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

He didn't help in any way... What advice did he give? And go look at his other posts. All that jack off does is go to people's forums and talk down to them like some high and mighty d bag. The answer was simple. A. you did good for that price. Or B. you did bad, cancel the sale. It doesn't matter what my use for the iPad is. I know what I use it for and it's inconsequential when I am asking if I got a decent deal or not. The guy had nothing useful to say, just to call me an idiot in a roundabout way. Maybe his mother should have taught him that if he has nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

Ultimately I decided not to buy that iPad 2.

19. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Hey, it's the holidays. Let's put our swords away for a while and just consider what's been said and done.

I think you made the right decision. It sounded like a deal then, but in this case your feelings toward buying an iPad 2 were made immediately after getting more money than you expected out of your iPad 1. It's definitely normal, I just sold my 2nd Gen iPod Touch and was thinking to myself whether to put that toward an iPad 2 now. But I had to step back and rethink where my priorities were and what I would think about the iPad 2 in my hands while the iPad 3 was on its way.

No iPad 2 now? Alright. iPad 3 it is!

20. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I decided actually to get a smaller capacity and the cheapest used iPad 2 I could find with the longest warranty. Found a 16gb that's good til mid September.

My iPad 1 did me fine for 20 months and it was fine in capacity and resolution... wait til people start unloading their iPad 3s and get one then tax free at the end of next year. :)