Sold my SR MBP on eBay, buyer wants WU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zorn, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Figured I would ask this here since I don't have a lot of experience with this, but I put my SR MBP up for sale on eBay, and someone bought it using the Buy it Now, and they asked if they can send me payment through Western Union. They are a new account, but it says they are registered in the US. Is there any risk to this? From my understanding, once they send payment through WU and I pick it up, I have cash in my hands and there's no reversing it. Is there anything I should be looking out for here? I would appreciate any advice if anyone is more experienced on this type of thing.

2. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

stay away from that like a bad cold. usually people that want to Western Union stuff are up to no good.

3. bamf macrumors 6502

Money orders are supposed to guarantee the funds (Western Union takes the money from the first party [plus a small fee] and then gives you the money at any of their locations). I've used money orders from the USPS before for things like traffic tickets where the court wants to make sure you're not sending them a bad check.

So I think you should be pretty safe here...

4. bamf macrumors 6502

You can always tell him you want the funds to clear before you'll ship the MBP to him too. That way you'll have the cash in hand before shipping him anything...

5. McGiord, Mar 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I think that only after you receive the money is when you will ship it, right?
    Also call WesternUnion and check.
    ________
    Actros

6. wolfattack macrumors member

DO NOT DO IT!

don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You will be scammed, 99.9999999% chance. He will have your money and MBP.

It is widely known that people who want to pay for expensive items on ebay through western union in any way shape or form are trying to scam you.

If he is legit, which i highly doubt, he can pay you with a check that you have make sure clears before you send it.

7. Zorn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Okay well it seems to be rather split. I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning and see how this pans out, if they tell me they sent cash and I can go to the WU office and just pick it up, I guess that would be safe as there wouldn't really be much they could do to take cash out of my hands. But if they want to mess with some kind of WU check (assuming they exist?) that could be counterfeit I won't play that game.

8. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Don't do it. Never use Western Union for something internet related. Ever. No question. There is no question. Don't do it.

If the buyer can't use PayPal tell them to send a USPS money order.

Remember, don't use Western Union.

9. bamf macrumors 6502

It seems to me that the person sending the money via Western Union is the one who is more likely to get scammed in this situation. Once Western Union gives you the money, I can't think of a way that they (or the person who sent the money) can get it back from you - short of litigation of some sort.

10. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

If he could send money with WU, why doesn't he just send money through Paypal which is easier and faster?

Beware of money orders too because people make fakes.

11. wolfattack macrumors member

sorry to sound like an ass, but please, dont listen to this guy. He obviously has not heard about how many thousands of people have been scammed by western union. It is not worth it. Just dont do it. Why would this guy not be able to send payment any other way? It is shady.

12. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

You don't know what you're talking about. Western Union is dangerous for buyers, not for sellers. Once the money is in your hands, they can't do anything about it.

HOWEVER, this is a scam. NEVER, EVER, NEVER EVER sell to a new user, especially on a very high value item. They will probably send you a fake WU number or a photoshopped confirmation and then beg you to send the computer in the meantime.

13. Think macrumors member

Think

This forum is a good place to come with technical and market-oriented questions, but using it as your only resource when making a decision like this would be foolish.

Have you spoken with anyone at Western Union? I'd suggest calling them up, explaining the situation and finding out if there's a particular way the money has to be sent in order for you to be free and clear.

HTH

14. bamf macrumors 6502

Hey, no reason to be mean about it... :p

See if he'll send you a USPS money order if he has to do it that way.

Wolfattack - when I do a search for Western Union Ebay scam it seems all the people getting scammed are the buyers (not the sellers as the OP is), so can you tell me what the issue is with Western Union?

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?forumID=107&threadID=214366

15. bamf macrumors 6502

Zorn-

Basically, just don't send the laptop until you have cash in hand, and you're fine. A legitimate money order will get you cash in hand - not a check that has to wait to clear while someone is begging you to send the laptop to them.

16. wolfattack macrumors member

I appologize for sounding mean.

this is my point. If he isn't trying to scam you, then why can't he pay through another method?

17. bamf macrumors 6502

Maybe WU is just easier for that person to use - who knows really. I think the issue with getting scammed is the guy on the other end. If I were the buyer, I would want to use Paypal so I would have the insurance...

18. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I personally wouldn't do it. They aren't talking about a money order, they are talking about wiring the money.

There are such better ways to pay and plenty of buyers willing to pay in safer ways.

19. stevegmu macrumors regular

How can someone get scammed by Western Union? Someone goes to a location, picks up the cash, then sends the item. Seems ideal for the seller.

20. Zorn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zorn

This is what I'm hoping for. They claim that they are going to pay "right away in the am" so as long as this means he's just sending cash, it should be good. If they're talking about sending some kind of check or money order that could be bogus, then it could be a problem.

I'll keep you all updated later today with what happens.

21. bamf macrumors 6502

If the guy uses the "Money in Minutes" service from WU, he would give them verified funds and you would be able to pick it up at any WU office in a matter of minutes.

22. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Red flag #1 - NEW Ebay user with little/no feedback
    Red flag #2 - Western Union

DO NOT go through with it. Re-list the auction and specify how you want to be paid (i.e. PayPal, BidBay, etc..). Also put some sort of statement in the auction like "New users or bidders with less than 10 positive feedbacks contact me before bidding".

This bidder is trying to scam you.

23. stevegmu macrumors regular

I think Western Union only deals in cash, so it would be safer than PayPall, because PayPal can always freeze the funds.

24. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I'd say definitely a scam. To re-emphasise what's already been said, it's a new account, and they want to use WU.

Just out of curiousity, what's their standard of english like?

25. stevegmu macrumors regular

Can you explain how it would be a scam?