Sold unlocked iPhone but cant unlock it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lindzmm, Jul 22, 2012.

1. lindzmm macrumors newbie

I sold my iphone on ebay. I sold it as unlocked and jailbroken. When I restored it to factory settings after it had been sold, it also upgraded to 5.1.1 which is not unlockable. I have cydia installed but now cannot unlock the phone. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Can the buyer still use the phone? Should I give it to him anyways and hope for the best? Or should I tell him upfront and not give him the phone? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, if anyone knows how to downgrade firmware 4.12.01 to an earlier firmware that IS unlock-able, that would be ideal. Thanks:confused::eek:

2. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68010

MuGeN PoWeR

if you are talking about iPhone 4 then you cant downgrade the baseband to unlock it. so basically you are doomed:)

3. ann713 macrumors 6502a

You didn't preserve the baseband before restore/update I'm assuming, might be out of luck.

4. lindzmm thread starter macrumors newbie

The buyer just payed so I figured it shouldnt be an issue to restore, jailbreak and unlock again since I have done it to many phone's- none updated to 5.1.1 though. I was planning on shipping it out in the morning. Should I still ship it and just take the blame if the buyer is unhappy?

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Are you serious?

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

Which carrier are u with? Considering AT&T has started unlocking many iPhone 3gs/4 officially since many have had theirs for 2 years.

Are you the original owner of the iPhone?

7. ann713 macrumors 6502a

What would be the point? I'm pretty certain that the buyer bought your phone because it was Unlocked, so he/she will be upset, no doubt. eBay has Buyer Protection so he could easily dispute for his money back, in this case for "Not as Described". You should first try to get a full Carrier unlock as the previous post suggested.

8. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

You have two options:

1) get the phone unlocked as described.
    2) Refund the buyer's money.

Why would you do anything less? :rolleyes:

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

this. The only thing you will do is cause both you and the buyer a headache once he realizes the phone is not unlocked.

10. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

You really have to consider what to do, as in the right thing to do? God I hope you don't teach children...

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Ship the phone, cancel your ebay, run to mexico

12. cynics macrumors G3

Lol.

Contact the buyer, explain the situation. Then just go from there. I had a friend that sold an locked iPhone as unlocked (didnt even know what it meant just saw they sold for more). It screwed his eBay account up since no one wanted to buy from someone with negative feedback like that.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You figured wrong.
    Its not JB and unlocked now and cannot be unlocked with gevey or ultrasnow.
    I would be honest and tell the buyer what happened and then relist it as locked cause he will not be able to use it the way it is now.
    Next time be more carefull.

15. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

if its not an issue why don't you restore,jb and unlock it?
    good luck trying

16. nerdybooboo macrumors member

nerdybooboo

why dont you try IMEI unlock before shipping it now?

17. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Is this definitely a 4 or 4S? If its a 3GS, it's very easy to unlock with Redsnow.

I do agree with others who say you should contact the buyer and be willing to accept negative feedback. Don't pass the buck.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Next time, do Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. This method won't mess with your firmware.

19. James Sawyer macrumors newbie

James Sawyer

20. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Not unless it's jailbroken; doing that would brick the phone in that case.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You mean it'll brick a jailbroken iPhone? I don't normally JB, but I've sold three iPhones jailbroken and unlocked this way. Restore from within the iPhone using the above method, jailbreak then unlock.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It won't actually brick it, but it will put you in a boot loop. The end result is the same; you will have to restore. Unless you have SHSH blobs saved, the only option at that point is to restore to newest firmware.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, like the user above said.
    If you try do that on a JB iphone on 4.3.3 or lower the phone will get stuck at the apple logo and will need a dfu restore. If the phone is NOT JB you can do that no prob.
    If you try to do it on JB firmware 5.0 and higher the erase all will just error out and wont do anything.

24. billinaz macrumors 6502

billinaz

If it was jailbroken, then the blobs are on the cydia server. Run firmware umbrella, check the box to get the shsh from cydia.

Now that you have the shsh locally, you should be good to restore to a previous ios.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Makes sense. I've only done it on non-JB iPhones.