Sold Verizon iphone 4S on ebay, buyer (falsely) complaining that it's an ATT model.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dsutton01, Oct 26, 2012.

1. dsutton01 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I recently sold my Verizon iPhone 4S 16gb (Model MD276LL) on eBay. A week after shipping it, I received a note from the buyer telling me that he was very angry because I sold him an unlocked AT&T iphone.

I told him to send me a screen shot of the "about" page showing the carrier, model, serial, IMEI, ICCID, etc. He did, and it matched the info of the phone I sent. The model clearly shows MD276LL, which is a Verizon iPhone 4S. "Verizon" was visible next to the signal bars in the picture he sent.

I KNOW this is a Verizon iPhone because I used it with my Verizon account before selling it. It is not, however, unlocked as he claimed.

I replied telling him that the model number clearly shows it's a Verizon phone. He replied telling me that data doesn't work, only wifi, and that he went to a verizon store and "they are clueless and are convinced its an AT&T" (I don't really believe this). He wrote again, this time including a screen cap showing a "SIM not valid" error screen and saying that he got that error with "a valid Verizon SIM card" and that he's going to report me to eBay.

I'm not sure what else I can tell this guy to prove that it's a Verizon phone, unless of course, I'm missing something and there's a valid reason why it's not working on his account.

Can anyone provide some input here on what he might be doing wrong, or what I can ask him to do? What could be wrong with the SIM card? Maybe he's using an old SIM and needs to use a new one? Is there an easy (and free) way to prove to him and to eBay (in case he files a case against me) that this phone is indeed a valid, activatable Verizon phone?

Thanks for your help!

2. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

iPhone 4s is a world phone. it combines the technology of CDMA and GSM.

3. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

In theory, that's true but my GSM 4S doesn't work on CDMA networks.

4. darster Suspended

The guy is obviously lying. If he actually went to a verizon store, and they punched in the imei number, they would know immediately it was a verzion phone. This guy is going to try and get his money back, and you may never see your phone.

5. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

errrrr ok:/

6. Bruins Fan macrumors member

Bruins Fan

This type of story is why I refuse to sell anything on ebay. I also know an ebay seller screwed by "buyers" hacking into someone else's PayPal account, and getting screwed that way selling tickets. I don't sell stuff very often, but when I do, I always use Craigslist. Smaller audience? Yes, so it may take a little longer to sell something, but I go cash only. Then it's a done deal, no headaches.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

This "stuff" is why I only buy on eBay; never sell.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

There's nothing wrong - he is a liar.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

exactly the reason people call it "fleebay"

10. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I've sold many things on eBay over more than 3 years. You only hear about the minority which are bad experiences and don't hear about the majority which of which the transactions go smoothly with no hassle and everyone is happy.

eBay isn't as bad as you are both making it out to be.

11. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

This is also the thing that frustrates me about selling on eBay.

Tell him to send the phone back to you and then refund his money once you receive it. Then block him and relist the phone and sell it to someone else.

If he tries to offer to keep it for a partial refund, refuse and tell him to return it if there's a problem.

12. ProudLoz macrumors regular

This, tell him that if he honestly can't activate it at Verizon, then to send you the phone back and you'll refund him his money when it gets to you.

13. AlphaTeam macrumors regular

AlphaTeam

I'm thinking about selling one but I'm afraid of Paypal screwing me over after the buyer pulls some crap. What if I only accept payment in form of cash, check, money order or cashiers check. I wait long enough for it to clear and then send the phone?

14. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Absolutely no issue selling on ebay IF you're a smart seller.

1. Always write down all info about the phone, IMEI, Serial ect ect
    2. Make a video of the phone functioning. Go through and play video, audio, ect
    3. Make a video of you packaging the item and placing it in the box or giving it to the mail person.
    4. Always send insured, delivery confirmation and ONLY to their confirmed address.
    5. Don't tell them you're making said videos so when they try and scam you you can slam dunk their asses.

Smart sellers don't ever have issues. 1300 plus positive fb, have never lost my money/product with a sale.

15. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

If ebay would advertise the FACT that you can decide who you sell to by utilizing "SITE PREFERENCES" people might not have such a problem with them.

16. AlphaTeam macrumors regular

AlphaTeam

I have heard many horror stories where the buyer was totally in the right with evedence and all and Paypal still screwed them.

----------

What is that about?

17. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I started doing this as well after reading stories about this kind of stuff on here. Luckily I have sold my two 4S iPhone without any issues a few weeks ago.

18. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Only issue I had was non payers for a few of my phones. Got my fee back but it's still a pain.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is not helpful at all because how could the seller possibly know that the guy would try to scam him beforehand?

20. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Where is the buyer located?

In my experience, if a buyer is being unreasonable (as is the case here, by insisting that it's an AT&T iPhone even when the phone's own info clearly reflects a Verizon one), I offer them the return it for a refund. If they don't want to return it, that's their choice...but the option's there for them.

:D

Attached Files:

21. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Did you put you would accept returns?? When I sell iPhones on ebay I always put no returns and being sold as is. That protects you for this sort of thing. Even if they report you to ebay as long as you can prove you sent the item in the auction ebay will side with you.

22. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

There is only one solution that will solve this problem for good as he is trying to get away with something. Tell him to return the phone and give him a refund. Then resell it. That's the risk a seller takes on eBay.

23. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Just get it back, offer to pay the return shipping to make it easier. My advice would be to get away from the hassle as fast as possible, re-list, block him and move on.

24. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Lol. Ok. I don't even know why I should respond to this. Please tell me how restricting buyers without paypal accounts, international bidders, and buyers with 2 or more unpaid item strikes is not helpful? I'll wait.

25. AJAAY macrumors regular

I've sold many phones on ebay. Never had a problem.

I take tons of pictures of the phone, every inch. Then describe every blemish that I can on the phone (and take up close pictures of each blemish).

I clearly state the model and what carrier the phone works on. If it's locked or unlocked. One trend I notice, is people who list a phone on ebay but continue using the phone. Once I list a phone, it goes in it's box and doesn't come out until it's sold. I examine the phone again, then neatly pack and ship it. Positive experience each time.