Sold Verizon iphone 6 on Swappa, buyer says its locked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, Sep 1, 2015.

1. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

A month ago, I sold a Verizon iPhone 6 on Swappa, a device I used with AT&T for a month. Now a month later, the buyer says its locked, sent me the IMEI and told me I need to unlock it.

I sent him Verizons website unlocking policy which clearly states all 4G LTE devices are unlocked already.

Is there anything else I can do? He's going to open a claim on paypal and this is ridiculous.

2. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Any idea if the buyer is trying to use it internationally? There was this thread going around at one point:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ome-locked-against-international-use.1846197/

3. willmtaylor, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Just for clarification: locked to VZW or iCloud locked?

And what is the buyer's proof?

4. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

5. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Locked to Verizon internationally.

6. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

As per the Verizon device unlocking policy I think it is now up to the buyer and Verizon to get this sorted out. Unless of course you specifically advertised it as internationally unlocked.

7. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

I am selling a new in plastic iPhone 6 64GB Verizon. I just got the phone replaced at Apple, and kept the plastic on it. Its 64GB, and unlocked. Verizon iPhones are required by law to be unlocked. My at&t sim card works fine on it. I put the description as mint only bc the iPhone is not sealed, but its NEW.

This phone is paid off/ no contract is tied to it. Its a brand new phone in plastic. Will come with the box, the charging block and a cord. No headphones.

Any questions? Feel free to ask. The initial warranty is until Jan 11, 2016, but right now the Apple page shows warranty until August 2016. After purchase, I can send the serial number and IMEI.

Please note that since this was replaced with Apple, the serial number does not match the box.

That's the description I used

8. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I don't see any promises in the description that it will work internationally and you stated Verizon's unlocked policy.

I don't think you're at fault or the buyer, I would educate the buyer on the issue and maybe work with the buyer to contact Verizon to see if they can sort this out for you. This is a Verizon issue I would think so Verizon needs to resolve this.

9. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

you can check the unlock status with its imei. if you have it i can check it for you.

10. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

How do you check? I would like to check mine as I have a Verizon iPhone 6 and I don't want to have the same issue.

11. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

there are websites online you can use to check.

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I would refer to the afore-linked thread to get the buyer & VZW to work it out.

13. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Okay-Apple engineers called me. They said they are aware of the issue and they are attempting to fix it.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So you contacted Apple directly or verizon?

15. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

both. Verizon had no ideas, said that all 4G LTE phones are unlocked internationally. Apple said they are aware of this issue with VZ iPhone 6 and 6+ Its an engineering fault where Apple locks the iPhone internationally. Very strange

16. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Will they replace the phone for the buyer then?

17. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

from what engineering said, they did something on the server and now the buyer needs to restore it. The buyer has been very nice and everything which is helpful.

18. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Wow! Great detective work!
    Buyer owes you for extra effort.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good info.
    So if anyone has the same issue just contact Apple?
    Verizon was no help right?

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

He actually owes the buyer a beer for going thru all this on a phone that's suposed to be worldwide internationaly unlocked.

21. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Well things took a complicated turn. I got an email saying that he called Apple and they told him its a locked AT&T phone.

I called Apple and they told me the same thing. I call Verizon and they say its a Verizon 6, called AT&T and they told me its a Verizon 6. I have the receipt showing its Verizon so Idk what Apple is saying.

Gonna wait for a return call from a senior advisor later. This sucks as I leave for China tomorrow morning.

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Wow...really bizarre...thanks for updates. Really interested to see how it all turns out.

23. willmtaylor, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The seller does or VZW/Apple do? (Sounds like their fault, not the seller's.)

24. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Basically, I bought a phone from Verizon to prepare for my China trip. Receipt shows Verizon, etc. I then found out the sim free 6 has more LTE bands for China. I replaced the Verizon iPhone via express replacement. Basically where Apple sends you a phone (same one) and put a hold on the CC. I then never used it, sold it on Swappa.

Buyer received it, said he was happy and was using it for Verizon. He said when he left for overseas, it didn't work, Said sim not valid. So we both called Apple, Apple said its an AT&T 6. Verizon and AT&T both said its a Verizon 6. This is extremely bizarre.

Thats why when Apple kept saying its locked to AT&T, I was like "No, the verizon sim card works just fine" (Before I sold it on Swappa, I put my Verizon sim card inside to make sure it worked and tried an AT&T sim)

25. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Sorry, I have been following the whole deal, I just forgot to quote who I was replying to. Apologies for the confusion. Thanks for the synopsis though!