Soldier waterboards 4yo daughter for refusing to recite alphabet

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1249191/Soldier-father-accused-waterboarding-daughter-4-recite-alphabet.html

This is why it's worth paying for efforts to monitor and treat psychiatric health of our soldiers... wow.

MailOnline said:
A soldier waterboarded his four-year-old daughter because she was unable to recite her alphabet.

Joshua Tabor admitted to police he had used the CIA torture technique because he was so angry.

As his daughter 'squirmed' to get away, Tabor said he submerged her face three or four times until the water was lapping around her forehead and jawline.

Tabor, 27, who had won custody of his daughter only four weeks earlier, admitted choosing the punishment because the girl was terrified of water.

The practice of waterboarding was used by the CIA to break Al Qaeda suspects at Guantanamo Bay. Detainees had water poured over their face until they feared they would drown. President Barack Obama has since outlawed the practice.

Tabor, a soldier at the Lewis-McChord base in Tacoma, Washington, was arrested after being seen walking around his neighbourhood wearing a Kevlar military helmet and threatening to break windows.

Police discovered the alleged waterboarding when they went to his home in the Tacoma suburb of Yelm and spoke to his girlfriend.

She told them about the alleged torture and the terrified girl was found hiding in a closet, with bruising on her back and scratch marks on her neck and throat.

Asked how she got the bruises, the girl is said to have replied: 'Daddy did it.'
During a police interview Tabor allegedly admitted grabbing his daughter, placing her on the kitchen counter and submerging her face into a bowl of water.

Sergeant Rob Carlson said the punishment was carried out because the girl would not recite the alphabet.

Police have not revealed Tabor's military service, but his base is home to units that have served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Tabor has been charged with assault and ordered to remain on his base and have no contact with his daughter or girlfriend, who has not been named. He is due to appear in court this week.

The girl has been taken into care. Her natural mother lives in Kansas but Tabor had been granted custody by a court.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Poor girl, she's probably going to need as much therapy as her Dad... nobody is a winner in this case. I just hope they can both heal after time and a lot of care.

It sounds like the Dad has some sort of PTSD, and was probably in denial... most of the afflicted can snap for the strangest of reasons, which can be obviously dangerous around kids.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It sounds like the Dad has some sort of PTSD, and was probably in denial... most of the afflicted can snap for the strangest of reasons, which can be obviously dangerous around kids.
I should not jump to conclusions, too, but it sounds just like the sort of thing the Army talks about in their Battlemind videos, which are essentially a training tool for soldiers to detect signs of PTSD at home -- handling situations in a way that might have been "appropriate" in the field, but are completely inappropriate to the situation at home.

And now, as you say, a lot of damage has already been done....

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Who attributed the word "waterboarding" to this? Did the father actually say "I was waterboarding my child" or did he dunk her head in the water because he knew she was afraid of water and was a crazy *******? It sounds to me like the father did his ******* move and then the media attributed the wording themselves to demonize the practice, as if putting your kid in water wasn't bad enough.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Poor girl, she's probably going to need as much therapy as her Dad... nobody is a winner in this case. I just hope they can both heal after time and a lot of care.

I agree with this assessment. I have met some crazy people in the military and not all of them served in combat, but the likelihood is more likely these days.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Who attributed the word "waterboarding" to this? Did the father actually say "I was waterboarding my child" or did he dunk her head in the water because he knew she was afraid of water and was a crazy *******? It sounds to me like the father did his ******* move and then the media attributed the wording themselves to demonize the practice, as if putting your kid in water wasn't bad enough.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I don't want to hear about waterboarding every time there is an incident involving water and someones head even when the acting person has no connection with the CIA, and has never used the practice officially. "12 year old kid dunks another kid in the pool, influenced by CIA waterboarding? Find out at 10."

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
I don't want to hear about waterboarding every time there is an incident involving water and someones head even when the acting person has no connection with the CIA, and has never used the practice officially. "12 year old kid dunks another kid in the pool, influenced by CIA waterboarding? Find out at 10."
:rolleyes:Why how often do you hear about soldiers dunking their kids head in water? Is this a regular event in your local area?

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I think you are correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterboarding

Waterboarding is a torture technique that consists of immobilizing the subject on his back with the head inclined downwards; water is then poured over the face into breathing passages, causing the captive to believe he or she is dying.[1][2] In contrast to submerging the head face-forward in water, waterboarding precipitates an almost immediate gag reflex.
It'll be "waterboarding for apples on Halloween" next. :rolleyes:

PS The father is a nutter.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Actually, from the articles the girl was pushed into the water face up, not face first.

Still, this is not technically waterboarding, and the newspapers that are using the word (not all are) are doing so to get more hits. Nonetheless, since the girl was face up not face down, I think this qualifies as close enough in my book. He was not just dunking her head face first in water.

Sadly, it makes you wonder about mom if this guy won custody.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
"Tabor, a soldier at the Lewis-McChord base in Tacoma, Washington, was arrested after being seen walking around his neighbourhood wearing a Kevlar military helmet and threatening to break windows."

Seems like not all of this guy's brain made it back from the theater. We ask soldiers to do unspeakable things and then expect them to rejoin society without enough support (the culture of the military has been slow to eliminate stigma of psychological support).

He needs therapy, as will his child. Hope they can get it.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
:rolleyes:Why how often do you hear about soldiers dunking their kids head in water? Is this a regular event in your local area?
No, we have plenty of people who served and came back to live normal lives. This guy has no connection with CIA or waterboarding practices. Hes obviously off his rocker.

The article stub turns out to be misleading. He and the birth mother had equal custody each granted 5 month periods with the girl. Looks like he served as a helicopter repairer, his girlfriend described him as having 'anger management problems'.
Looks like he was probably a lune before joining, probably had fantasies about killing and got stuck repairing helicopters.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
Just saying like:

He's five foot-two, and he's six feet-four,
He fights with missiles and with spears.
He's all of thirty-one, and he's only seventeen,
Been a soldier for a thousand years.

He'a a Catholic, a Hindu, an Atheist, a Jain,
A Buddhist and a Baptist and a Jew.
And he knows he shouldn't kill,
And he knows he always will,
Kill you for me my friend and me for you.

And he's fighting for Canada,
He's fighting for France,
He's fighting for the USA,
And he's fighting for the Russians,
And he's fighting for Japan,
And he thinks we'll put an end to war this way.

And he's fighting for Democracy,
He's fighting for the Reds,
He says it's for the peace of all.
He's the one who must decide,
Who's to live and who's to die,
And he never sees the writing on the wall.

But without him,
How would Hitler have condemned him at Dachau?
Without him Caesar would have stood alone,
He's the one who gives his body
As a weapon of the war,
And without him all this killing can't go on.

He's the Universal Soldier and he really is to blame,
His orders come from far away no more,
They come from here and there and you and me,
And brothers can't you see,
This is not the way we put the end to war.