Soldiers dying in Iraq for Bush's amusement?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I dislike Bush as much as the next guy, but...

CNN

Have to say, while I think Duncan's sentiment is just as overblown as Stark's, I agree with Duncan in principle: that remark was beyond the pale. Much as I can't stand Bush, I don't think he's doing this for his "amusement".

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I have to say I generally hate any rhetorical argument that it's ridiculous that we can't do x while we can do y. Children's healthcare and the Iraq war are really separate issues.

3. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I agree with you up to the point where x and y share the same common denominator. In this case it is money. I reject the WH assertion that expanding and existing program will somehow lead us down the path of socialized medicine. No, the issue is money. And, you cannot talk money without acknowledging the biggest capital drain we have; the Iraq war.

Just the money lost in war profiteering alone would pay for children's healthcare. Besides, we are financing large amounts of the war by running up the national debt. The republican cries for fiscal responsibility ring hollow in my ears. They have spent like whores, and yet find ways to relieve the tax burden for the top 1% of Country. Now they say we cannot afford to provide insurance for the children of the lowest income earners. Please...give me a break. :mad:

4. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I agree. It's not for his amusement, but for something less significant: his ego.

I don't condone rhetorical excess, but at the same time it would be nice to fight the GOP on a level playing field, one where hyperbole was either ruled out altogether or in play for both parties, rather than being the sole domain of the GOP. This is part of their strategy, with bomb throwers like Coulter saying outlandish things so that what the mainstream GOP truly wants sounds reasonable in comparison.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I doubt anyone here will defend this. Ok, well, maybe some people. But yeah, I agree, distracts from the argument. I don't know why Dems can't seem to find a nice balance somewhere between acquiescing and making outrageous statements that only give fodder to the opposing side.

While I doubt it will hurt him much, as people are sick of Dems doing nothing and angry at Bush for both SCHIP and Iraq, it doesn't seem to help.