Solid orange magsafe LED and 40 minutes of battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puma1552, Dec 28, 2008.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

So I just spent some time setting up my new airport express and its wireless printing for my unibody MBP

I unplugged the computer (completely full battery charge) and went across the room to test how good the wireless quality was. I had the computer unplugged from the magsafe for about two minutes.

I plugged the computer back in to the magsafe and after just a few seconds the magsafe LED turned orange and has stayed that way since, regardless of logging in/out, restarting, unplugging, etc.--there is no way to get it to be green as it was until I unplugged it.

What's the deal? I have 38 minutes and I'm toast so quick help is appreciated. FWIW I also have all the software updates including 10.5.6.

EDIT: Now it says I have 4 hours of battery time and that it is indeed charging, but the LED is still solid orange.

2. lscangus macrumors 6502

I have no idea what you are talking about

Orange LED is charging

3. Andy-V macrumors 6502

Yeah, the light should only be green when your MacBook is fully charged.

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

lol is this for real?!? Unless you are a brand new owner I don't understand the question... Have you really not been paying enough attention to your laptop to realise when it's charging? Maybe i'm misunderstanding your question...

5. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Yes I am a brand new owner and that's the first time since the laptop has been out of the box that I've had it unplugged. All is good and green now, thanks.

Also enjoying a new cinema display at the moment as well:)

6. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

Okay, here's the down-low on Apple and lights.

The orange on the magsafe means charging. Green means charged. Once you have a green light, I'd recommend unplugging it and running off the battery. It's a healthy thing for it to be fully charged and then almost fully discharged on a fairly regular basis. Leaving it plugged in too long can affect it in a negative manner. EDIT: Also, you have a nice little indicator of how charged you are on the left of your machine, tap it and a strip of green lights will come on showing you how much battery life you have. Very convenient if you want to check while it's powered off, or in a bag. /EDIT

Your power indicator light on the front edge of the MBP only comes on when your laptop is in sleep mode, and then it pulses. The reasoning behind this is, if your computer is awake, you should be able to tell from the monitor that it's turned on. If it's asleep, you can't see that beautiful display shining at you so you should have some sort of indicator that it's not powered off, thus that amazingly well hidden blinking white light.

You can adjust your backlight on your keys with f5 and f6, or you can go under the keyboard option in your system preferences and tell it to come on only when you're in low light.

Along with adjusting the keyboard backlight, the ambient light sensor can also adjust the brightness of your monitor. Under the display options, you can toggle this on or off. If it's on, it will keep the backlight at a relative brightness to your current setting depending on the light in the room around you. You can also adjust the brightness of your backlight with f1 and f2.

Welcome to the wonderful world of being a MacBook Pro owner. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and don't let the "is this a joke" or "are you effing kidding me" people get you down. You'll find that some people like to make a stink about new threads that pop up asking questions from days past, but they don't have to read them, and they'd waste less time actually answering your questions than moaning and groaning about it.