Solo to family plan, keep 3Gs & Add 4G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rawlus, Jun 14, 2010.

1. rawlus macrumors regular

i have a 3Gs that does not qualify for complete upgrade until 3/2011, however, my plan is to give the 3G2 to my wife, buy a new 4G, transfer my 3Gs phone # to the new 4G, transfer her current AT&T (non-iphone) number to the 3Gs and group both the 3Gs and 4G on a family talk plan (i am currently on solo iphone plan with unlimited data and she's on a prepaid plan)

so questions...
    the number porting from one iphone to the other and from one prepaid to the older iphone... problem?
    i assume because i am keeping a 3Gs line and adding a new line, i will still be able to get the 199/299 pricing on the 4G and move my existing number over to it from the 3G
    i have unlimited data now, will that remain for my 4G with my existing phone number or will it stay with the 3Gs phone or will i lose it altogether?

i am probably going to do all of this as a non-franchise AT&T store because of the complexity of moving the numbers and adding the line and changing the plan...

but at the end of the day, i think i should be good in getting the new phone at the new phone price, swapping the phone numbers between them, and increasing the sum total of lines from one to two, preserving unlimited data on at least one of the phones...

thoughts?

2. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

I'm doing something similar, upgrading from 3G to Iphone 4 and adding my wife with a new Iphone 4 from a Verizon pay-as-you-go phone with that number ported and switching to a family talk plan, and was told by AT&T (both instore and by phone) that this would not be a problem. I'm not sure about the price, but I don't see why you wouldn't qualify for the lowest - your 3GS is still in service and still being paid for by you, so the 4 is the new one on the account.

3. rawlus thread starter macrumors regular

4. frozencarbonite macrumors 6502

frozencarbonite

I'm in the same exact situation as you. My wife is coming over from Verizon. I'm not sure who to order from. I want to order from Apple, but not sure how it works as far as picking out a family plan when ordering.

Do you wait until you activate the phone pick your plan? And if you enter the number you want to transfer to AT&T into Apple's website during the preorder, does it deactivate service from Verizon immediately? She doesn't want to be without a phone until the iPhone arrives.

malnar, who are you ordering from?