Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Idolum

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2016
I stumbled upon a fine solution to hide all the unsightly cables attached to my cylinder Mac Pro. I was gifted an old 23 inch cinema display which I took apart for fun. It turns out that the hollow aluminium case makes the perfect platform for the Mac Pro. An old 20 inch cinema display will do just fine if you don’t have too many monitor power bricks that need to be hidden.

IMG_5067.JPG

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
Good* solution but i'm shocked you don't have a surge protector in place. I'd have an isobar there minimum.

Last edited:

Idolum

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2016
Good point - I actually didn't think about it until you brought it up. I always had everything connected to a power strip before. I'll get a small one with surge protector.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I stumbled upon a fine solution to hide all the unsightly cables attached to my cylinder Mac Pro. I was gifted an old 23 inch cinema display which I took apart for fun. It turns out that the hollow aluminium case makes the perfect platform for the Mac Pro. An old 20 inch cinema display will do just fine if you don’t have too many monitor power bricks that need to be hidden.
That's pretty slick. Thanks for sharing!

Idolum

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2016
What kind of monster are you?

The funny thing is that it never bothered me with all the other cables flying around. But it does look a little out of place with the new clean setup. A new white USB extension cable is already on it's way. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Reactions: ActionableMango

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
got to say thats one cool looking setup ^^
the nmp still makes me think of the g4 cube >.< why cant we have a new version of that computer

Idolum

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2016
Was the screen broken or did you take it apart just to break things?!
I initially planned to replace the background LED lights. That, however, is not that easy to do since the light bulbs are buried underneath the entire screen assembly. One of the logic boards is also glued to the screen which came loose.

Professionals will charge $300 to replace the 30 inch screen LEDs so I also wanted to find out if that is something I can do by myself. It's definitely challenging.

A 20 inch cinema display with a broken screen can be purchased for as low as $15 on craigslist. It will take 10 minutes to take apart. Just follow the "Most Helpful Answer" in this IFIXIT thread:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/16517/How+to+disassemble+a+23"+Apple+Cinema+Display+(A1082)

Be careful with the two plastic sides which are glued to the cinema display. They have to be put back into place once everything else is removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: h9826790

CapnDavey

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
Good idea! my main gripe about that mac is the cable rats nest you get hooking up external drives.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I think you are referring to the power outlet in the floor with open covers.

I mean on the Mac Pro in the second picture, just below the Mac's power cord. It looks like some kind of brace or something.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.