Solutions to fix screen burn/image retention?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mickstanz, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Mickstanz, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013

Mickstanz macrumors newbie

Hey there,
    I left my iPhone on charge after doing some transfering via SHH, so I had turned the auto-lock off while doing this. Less then 2 hours later I noticed that my iPhone screen now has the home page that it was on burnt into the screen, and the colors are all weird now (I believe from the always there transparent home screen).
    When on a white background web page I can't nearly notice it, just makes the black text look a little funny, but on any black screen I can see my complete home screen.
    Are there any known solutions to this? I have taken a photo using the front facing camera in a mirror which doesn't show it to its full extent but you can see what I mean. I dont have access to a PC only my iPhone so will try and attach the image somehow.

Edit: I'v just realized as I'm doing this post that it's also ghostiJng anything left on the screen for a couple of minutes? I now have the title of my post burned into the top of my screen...! Also all the keyboard buttons are burned in. And I can't find how to put up an image from my iphone

Thanks in advance everyone

2. zybersniper macrumors member

Turn the phone off for 30 mins. Turn it back on and see if the retention is still there. If so, return it.

3. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

4. Gmerdude macrumors 6502

Gmerdude

O return it

5. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

LCD's on modern devices don't burn in, and certainly not after only two hours. It's a software issue.

6. Mickstanz thread starter macrumors newbie

It's an iPhone 4, brought second hand in Vietnam (where I'm currently living) has been fine since I brought it like 6+ months ago, now it does this.
    Have tried leaving it off, started it up and the burn was still slightly there, but once I start using apps or anything it ghosts whatever has been on the screen and withing a couple of clicks the screen is a mess again.
    No warranty or anything but I'm sure I can get a new screen over here for really cheap, friend had it done for like $35, but still just a pain that it's done it randomly like this..

Edit: also it's not software because I have a tv plug for it and it shows up fine on the tv

7. Drich290195 macrumors 6502

Drich290195

Has the screen been replaced before maybe with an inferior product

8. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

This is known on iPad 1s as well. The solution is to change the display, and if it isn't an iPhone 5, it won't be that expensive either.

9. AFDoc macrumors 68030

How is this a returnable issue?

I know there are some pixal fixer apps, not sure if you can blast it with white screen to try and "fix" it.

10. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

This issue could be the first sign that there is a hardware issue. It might not be that big of a deal right now, but it will be if the screen totally stops functioning later on.

11. zybersniper macrumors member

Not returnable since its second hand. But image retention is usually a hardware issue. I have a friend who's second hand iPhone 4 has the same problem. Images just stay stuck on the LCD like a shadow. He had the LCD swapped and no more retention.