Solved: If I want to change my iPhone APN settings is installing a profile from unlockit.co.nz safe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hal~9000, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I want to change my APN settings to so I can use a data only sim card with my iPhone.

I've been told to use unlockit.co.nz for changing my iPhones APN but I'm curious... how safe is it?

On the website I clicked the APN settings I wanted and was prompted to install their profile on my phone to change the APN settings, but when I do my phone gives me a warning which says "The network traffic of your iPhone may be filtered or monitored by a cellular configuration" which sounds scary :oops:

Anyone use this website or APN profiles before? If so how do you know your data traffic / website logins aren't being snooped on? Also is there anyway (with an AT&T iPhone) I can change the APN myself so I don't have to install a profile I'm not sure of?

Thank you for your help :)

2. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Just wanted to give an update in case anyone in the future might be wondering the same question I was earlier and they end up finding this thread via search looking for an answer:

I ended up being too much of a chicken to install a random profile on my phone that could potentially snoop on all my data so instead I simply looked up how I could make / install my own APN profile by using Apples own 'iPhone Configuration Utility' program.

As for what settings I put into the iPhone Configuration Utility I used AT&T's own APN guide and put in the following before installing it on my iPhone:
    • General -> Name -> ATT Broadband
    • General -> Identifier -> apn.settings
    • APN -> Access Point Name (APN) -> ATT Broadband
    • APN -> Access Point User Name -> broadband
    This ended up working perfect and I got LTE within about 10-15 minutes (was simply 4g before that).

Hope this helps! :)