Somalian Pirates score Tanks!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lord Blackadder, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

A group of Somalian pirates has hijacked a Ukrainian ship carrying 33 T-72 tanks plus ammunition and a number of other, unspecified weapons.

The ship was delivering the hardware to another African country. You can be these tanks, unless we manage to destroy them, will end up being used for some very unpleasant purpose.

I thought this was out of hand before, but now it's getting scary....if there's anything the international community should be able to agree on, it's that this piracy needs to be stopped.

My solution: build a few modern Q-ships. Take a large yacht or small cargo vessel and outfit her as a warship, while maintaining its appearance as a soft target. Once the pirates get close and prepare to board, the Q-ship sinks their boats with gunfire and picks up the drowning rats. :D

2. Queso macrumors G4

My tactic is to let the Russians deal. Anyone messes with them, tanks or no, and they're going to come off badly.

Expect lots of dead Somalian pirates within a fortnight.

3. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Unfortunately, naval patrols won't kill piracy at the source. We need to do something about the ports they operate from.

4. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

A Q-ship would be a very cool idea.

Either you are or your not. And besides, how many different options are there in dealing w/pirates.

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

You could always send in the Ninjas!

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

We could always apply to Congress for a letter of marque...

7. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

We could always nuke them, not a good option though.

8. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

This is a tough situation, because, unlike the wars fought against the Barbary pirates back in the 19th century, there is no government or potentate to deal with. It's just a bunch of heavily armed thugs in boats.

The ultimate solution is, of course, a stable Somalian government. However, we can't afford to wait on that process; we need to stop the pirates now.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And here I thought International Talk Like A Pirate Day was LAST week...

10. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The pirates are demanding $35 million for the return of the ship. I say go in there and cut her out.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Actually, there is a government to deal with, and it is an excellent one, against all the odds. The trouble is that nobody recognises it. The situation in Somalia proper is appalling (ever since the US-Ethiopian Axis screwed over the stability brought to Mogadishu by the UIC), but the pirates operate from Puntland, the old British Somaliland, which is an autonomous region with a very creditable effort at good governance, but woefully under-resourced because of lack of recognition. The answer is simple: recognise the Puntland government, resource them properly, and watch the pirates disappear.

12. Queso macrumors G4

And what happens to the crew in this version of events?

As I've already posted, the pirates are on borrowed time right now and must know it. The Kenyan Government should sit tight and wait for them to surrender the vessel IMO. As the Russians get closer the chance of a major pounding being delivered gets higher.

13. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Presumably, they'd walk the plank.

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

If I were the Russians I would just start sinking their ships. That is if they don't have hostages from the other ship, which they very well might.

jon

15. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

The whole time all I could think about was this:

[​IMG]

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Unless they have balls like a brass monkey, I would suggest that they get the Hell as far away from that ship as they can.

Time to admit a serious mistake, and cut your losses.

17. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

I smell a cover-up. I don't imagine it would that easy for a rag-tag team to intercept something like that that easily.

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

This isn't the pirates first rodeo. They've hijacked tons of boats and they seem like they're pretty good at it.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Agreed.

Unless there was a T-72 on-deck, and a crew capable to man it, a civilian vessel is no match for machine guns, grenade launchers and surface-to-surface rockets.

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The T-72 is an intuitive tank to drive as well.

21. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it makes a nice coffin too. :p

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

which happens to be a main "feature" of pretty much every tank

even more so if they are export versions

edit: you gotta love wikipedia

23. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Problem is if one were to take action against the pirates the liberals would complain.

Poor underprivelged pirates...without adeqaute food, water, and healthcare how else are the supposed to make a living?

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Have fun with your little fantasy.

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

"take action against the pirates" would mean military actions in somalia ... and we all know how well that went in the past ...

and if the liberals would complain why didn't bush do anything during the last 8 years about the pirate problems in somalia ?