Some 2048x1536 photo's take 1.5 seconds to decode & can't work out why.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

This is puzzling me a bit.

2048x1536 seems to be the maximum res the iPad can handle in the photo app, so you can zoom into the image and make it twice as large and still see full resolution.

With this in mind, I have been resizing a few images in Photoshop and using the save for web option to keep the file size the best whilst still retaining quality.

However, something odd is going on and I'm not sure what.

Some image is this size, when you scroll them onto the screen in the photo app appear not fully rezzed and it takes about 1.5 seconds before they res.

I could understand this, ipad power, and all that. However, other images of the same size are rezzed instantly they appear.

The file size I thought may be the issue, but no, some at 2000k rez instantly, whilst others at 500k I did at last night take this time.

I'm puzzled. Something is going on and I can't work out what.

If a 2000k 2048x1536 appears on screen instantly rezzed, why does a 500k with the same dimensions take a while.

Yet again, another photo at 1600k takes the same 1.5 secs to rez.

I'm wondering if it's something to do with how the photo is saved?
    Could photoshop be using some heavier compression which needs more decoding time?

I need to do some more testing, but would welcome if you had any ideas or experience on this.

Thanks.

2. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Mods, please delete this post.

1: I posted this in the wrong place, it should be in the tips/fix forum area.

2: I've found out what the problem was. Photoshop for some reason, had gone over to the progressive decoding setting when saving jpeg files, which was why it was taking a few moments for the iPAd to res the file.

So all fixed now :)

3. whocaresit macrumors 6502a