Some Apple technician fails at their jobs!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bankrip123, Mar 8, 2014.

1. bankrip123 macrumors member

A couple of weeks ago, my 15 rMBP, all of sudden, had a weird noise at the area of the right-handside speaker. The computer still run fine but the noise was very irritating, especially in a quiet night when I usually work. Since I've just bought Apple care about a month back, I took it to Apple Store and they agreed to fix and then send it back to me later. I got the computer today. The noise was still there, like Apple did not do anything at all.

In the paper coming back with the computer, Apple said they did change the Logic Board and they claimed the computer passed all the hardware testing. Apparently, this does not do the trick.

What should I do in this case? I have to drive 1h30 to the closet apple store. I can live with the noise at the time being, but I know sooner or later I have to bring it to the store again. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Give AppleCare a call, tell them the situation.

3. Lyshen macrumors 6502

In theory you could call AppleCare and request to have the laptop shipped in, but the problem there is that you'll go an extra 2 days without the laptop. (Ship to and from facility)

4. bankrip123 thread starter macrumors member

I've just spoken with the Senior Technician and I will have the laptop shipped in tomorrow. I am curious to see how Apple handle this case.

5. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

If you get the chance, I recommend that you document the noise - preferably before sending it off. Always great to have in your files and to use in referencing the issue.

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I've had this exact same story. The noise is very high-pitched and sounds more electrical than mechanical. I recorded it as a MP3 file on my laptop as the Genius could barely hear it in the loud Apple Store. Here it is: http://cl.ly/1X162l1l3B0z/Mémo2.mp3

Not only did the claimed logic board replacement not help, but it seems like they didn't reassemble the laptop correctly as the bottom plate is now loose and squeaky and my trackpad's click is weird.

I'd appreciate if you report back if you find the cause of your issue.
    There's this thread on Apple forums with people having the same issue but I can't seem to find the cause.

7. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

I Noticed this sound back when I had a rMBP as well, although it wasn't as bad as the version you recorded. I believe it was due to increased power draw while under load and weak capacitors. It only occurred when doing something that was taxing to the SSD such as conducting a search in Finder.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

At least yours didn't break anything and then when you take it in for the next repair, they deny you service because it was broken and taped back together.

9. bankrip123 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for this late reply. I got my macbook back last week and it was all fixed. They replaced the two fans (left and right) and the weird noise has gone.

I am very satisfied with Apple customer service.

10. lukepeterson macrumors newbie

You should report your situation to AppleCare center. If you're not satisfied with their technical services, try asking help at Mac Parts Online. I got my first service there when my MacBook Pro video card and motherboard died on me.

11. BrightHalo macrumors newbie

If you have AppleCare next time see(contact Apple and ask) if your location qualifies for "Onsite service." In the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions for the United States this is under subsection (ii) in section 6. Hardware Service Options.

(This is just what I know about the United States AppleCare agreement so it may be different if you don't live in the United States but its something to look into)

12. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

well even i am noticing this noise now, My macbook was for a month at the AASP changed numerous parts including ssd and 2 logic boards, when i got it back the keyboard back light was not working, since the place is about 1 hr from where i stay i decided to open and see for a loose connector i was shocked to see the back light cable jammed below the logic board I took it back got them to fix it. Now i notice the exact same noise it usually occurs when the macbook is drawing more den 50 watts of power. I took it up with apple even made them hear the noise on phone, they asked me to bring it in for a permanent solution.