Some Apps Deleted/Copied into Trash?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samcraig, Jul 8, 2010.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

I haven't noticed this before when I upgraded an OS or changed iPhones - but perhaps someone else can confirm..

I haven't emptied my trash (on a mac) since I upgraded to the iPhone 4. I just went to empty it and saw a bunch of apps (.ipa) in there. Now I checked and they all still seem to also be in the correct iTunes directory as well - so ultimately not worries. But just wondered how/why some (not all) apps wound up in the trash.

2. draz macrumors 6502a

When you sync your iPhone with iTunes it keeps a backup of your apps and if iTunes sees that your iPhone has an update it sends the older one to trash and grabs the new copy from your phone when syncing.
    You might have an option to keep the existing files in the iTunes directory or send them to trash. So perhaps that might be a reason why you see them in both places.

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

thanks

never noticed this before. Maybe something changes (on my end) with the install of 9.2

4. draz macrumors 6502a

It's been doing this for quite sometime now. I haven't check it out but perhaps you set it to keep the existing files in the iTunes directory so no message came up each time you synced and had updated apps it copied over. And when 9.2 came out you choose the Send to Trash option.

...*shrugs*

5. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Like others have already mentioned, it's normal. When your apps get updated iTunes trashes the older versions.

6. MrChoudhury macrumors newbie

Initially when I saw those apps (that I purchased) in the trash, I freaked :eek: .. but then when I realized what was happening :rolleyes: , I thought it was innovative idea to keep things clean. Wonder why wouldn't they just update the changes in the existing file (e.g. upgrade). Perhaps Apple didn't want to be responsible for other app, so allowed - start from the scratch with latest version, and get rid of the old one.