Some better way to tell if an app has an iPad version?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by LincolnsiPod, Sep 2, 2011.

1. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

I bought a new iPad and restored a backup from my iPhone to get most of my apps and settings on the iPad easily.

While I've been going over each app for testing, I've noticed that while the iPhone version works fine, there's sometimes an iPad version for it that I was totally unaware of. I either find these by happenstance or check the app store. Is there a better way to check though? Sometimes it's obvious when an app is not iPad optimized (it has that 1x, 2x zoom faster) but sometimes it's not so obvious. I do have a lot of apps and really don't want to check the app store to see if there's an iPad version of it for every single one. :eek:

2. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I think checking the App Store is the only way! In the App Store, if an App icon has a plus symbol then that App is for both iPhone and iPad.

3. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

It might be my imagination but even when it has to "plus" icon indicating it's compatible with the iPad, it will still load in an iPhone format (where you have to use the zoom to expand it fullscreen, resulting in lower quality.) Not sure though, but does make things a bit confusing. :p

4. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

If an app has the + icon next to it then it will work on either iPhone or iPad. The app will recognize which device it is installed on and will use the entire screen.

5. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the clarification, should help me weed out some of the apps now. :D

6. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

The explanation for the + symbol is stated on the app store pages.