Some cities are taking another look at LED lighting after AMA warning

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Sep 26, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...779568-7c3d-11e6-bd86-b7bbd53d2b5d_story.html
    well that sucks, bought LEDs for my home . anyways hard to be good to the environment and your home at the same time it seems.

2. cube macrumors G5

Did you actually read the article? All LEDs are not the same.

3. MarkusL macrumors 6502

Most LEDs for home use have a color temperature of 2700-3000K, and in that case you'll be fine. This seems to only apply to higher color temperatures.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

no, i panicked as soon a I read LED :D

5. zin macrumors 6502

The local government for my neighbourhood recently upgraded all of the street lamps to LEDs to save money. They are disgustingly blue and bright. The lights they replaced had a yellow tint and were easy on the eyes.

Maybe it's a placebo effect but the redder light is far easier to deal with at night. I've used f.lux on the computer for years now and whenever I disable it at night, my eyes react with disgust.

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have LED's that are in the 5000K range and love em. I like the light they give off. Of course I haven't noticed any issues with my sleep though. But then again, I do not have them on when I am sleeping! :eek::D

7. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

High intensity street lights are necessary to see. Most sleep problems people have would be from something else. Like staring at an LED screen for 14+ hours a day.

8. daflake macrumors 6502a

That is a good American! ;)

9. Limey77 macrumors regular

Interestingly, here in the UK several local authorities have experimented with LED lights for heavy rain/snow/fog and early evening but then turning them off after midnight.

So far it has shown to save money (by not lighting huge stretches of roads not often travelled but more interestingly reducing accidents. The prevalent theory is that drivers are forced to concentrate more with no lighting.

Please note, this is not on our motorways (interstates).

10. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I use the 5000K in the garage, but 3000 and lower in the house.

Have a question...do these dim over time? It really looks they do not seem as bright as when I put them in. Still better than the CFL garbage I used before them though.

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have not noticed, but then again, I put them in May of this year. I have a few of the 2-3000K series in some of the rooms like the dining room, but most are in the 5K range.

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Yeah. Keep dem street lamps blue. The last thing we need is someone falling asleep at the wheel.;)

My sleep problem has nothing to do with LED lights, since I have had the sleep problems long before LED lights were available. I don't blame the LED's; blame the *looks conspiratorially to the right and left* K-I-D-S.:p:p:p

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That was the silliest "warning" I have ever seen. Unless you are some guy walking his dog under those lights for three hours each night and then going to bed right after, this isn't going to be an issue.

I think these lights are great. So much brighter and contrary to the article I think they make the roads safer. I haven't seen what they are like with heavy rain or fog though. I don't know why people like those garish ugly orange lights. They are and always have been just hideous. And they distort color.

The only things in that article that I think could be considered a concern are the possible disruption of nocturnal animals, and definitely the added light pollution problem.

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

15. cube macrumors G5

Already before LED.

16. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

The city I live in installed new LED lights on the bike path near my home. I walk on this bike path to get to the subway station. The lights are super bright and uncomfortably blue. Like, I can't look straight ahead when walking there anymore, I have to look down. The tint is so blue that it makes everything look strangely black and white. I'm all for LEDs, but they clearly did very little to test these or to evaluate the specific lights before installing them.

17. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

LED dim over time but that shouldn't be happening until after their rated lifetime which can be around 15k hours or so.

Some LEDs dim after they get hot. I got a few Cree bulbs that don't have this issue but i got a pack of utilitech bulbs that dim after about 1 hour due to lack of cooling.

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The issue is not the type of light (I mean, seriously, get drapes, and if you're on the road perhaps you should be awake). The issue is light pollution. Any photon that escapes to the sky is wasted, and ugly.

19. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Blue light can give me cancer?????
    [​IMG]
    I never really liked the stuff, but I've had a few in my day. Should I be worried!?!

*I didn't read the article either.

20. MarkusL macrumors 6502

This picture is a great illustration of the problem:

[​IMG]

Light escaping in the wrong direction does not only pollute the night sky and cost money, it also reduces the usefulness of the part of the light that is going in the right direction. In general, a streetlight that gets in your eyes without you looking up at it is poorly designed. In the example above a proper fixture could cut the electricity cost in half and double the usefulness of the light at the same time.

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It my town they are trying to raise £200,000 (~$260,000) to install exterior lighting for a historic building. You guessed it - the lights will be installed in the ground and aimed upward towards the building, creating light pollution on an unprecedented scale for our town. This is in spite of the fact that our university has one of the few working optical telescopes left in Europe. What a total waste of money and energy.

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

We've had LED's in the house now for 4ish years and I haven't noticed any dimming I'd imagine they do though.

23. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Yup, not all LED lights are the same. Think about why Apple implemented the "Night Shift" lighting feature on the iPhones not too long ago. It switches to a color spectrum ("temperature") that is not only easier on the eyes, its also less likely to cause insomnia, so it's less disruptive for your sleep pattern.

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

As it happens, I like the daylight LEDs in dark areas in the morning especially and daytime, and, the warm white LEDs for evening use. Bright daylight spectrum street/security lights can be disturbing when shining on your bedroom window all night, but, LED lighting didn't invent that problem. Bright daylight spectrum fluorescent security lights came in the 60's. They also hum. Very annoying and irritating, which is why some movies featured such lights to evoke an irritating nighttime urban environment.

Which is to say -- I think singling out LED lamps is misguided. Daylight spectrum lamps have their uses, but, probably not as super bright street lamps.

25. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

What gets me is that a lot of people still don't understand the term "soft white" when talking about light bulbs (yes even the modern LED bulbs).

Me: "Why did you get these bulbs? I said to get the Soft White."

Her: "Huh? Those are white. What do you mean soft white? A bulb is a bulb, right? Those were cheap for a 4-pack."

Me: "These are blinding bright, like having bright sunlight inside the house. That's not what we need. Next time it should be the Soft Whites."

Her: "So let me get this straight. The package will say something like "Soft White" in it?"

Me: "Bingo!"