Some contact info not syncing to GMail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TJ61, Jun 28, 2012.

1. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

I found a problem and workaround regarding contact info not syncing to GMail. After searching the forums for a while, I think this might be related to a problem with custom field names not syncing.

After looking at contact information in GMail on my computer, I realized that not all the fields for a contact entered on my iPhone were making it to my Google account.

The contacts affected appeared to be the ones that I created via the iPhone map app. And, if the field name on the iPhone is generic-sounding (i.e. "Address" instead of "Work" or "Home"), that field will not have synced to GMail. When you find a location on the map, and then tap on the banner and select "Add to Contacts", the generic field names "Address" and "Phone" are used, meaning these fields will never sync to GMail.

Once I went in and edited each one of these contacts, and changed the field name (to "work" or "home"), the data instantly synced to Google.

So, the question is, why does the map app create a contact with custom field names?

Regards,
    Tom

2. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

Because Apple doesn't care about Google's naming conventions.