Some early owners of Tesla's Model 3 are reporting quality problems. Do buyers care?

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
I just googled and see that a Tesla has a range of about 300 miles and takes 9.5 hours to recharge. It sounds like an Apple Watch. I think I'll wait those 20 years.

Don't forget that's at a speed of about 60-65mph to get the advertised range. There are YouTube videos of Tesla owners driving across country, while semi trucks are passing them on the highway when the speed limit is 75/80.

dogslobber

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Buy the car you want. It's your money. Who cares what an I hate Tesla guy thinks?
The idea is there but the technology for it is not. Sometimes it's better not to be an early adopter for this type of beta product and let others take the hit. I equate it to solar panels, the tech in 5 years will make today's product look old, feel terrible, and those who bought now will feel ripped off. I know the value of every dollar of a 50k$ sticker price.
[doublepost=1519090093][/doublepost]
Don't forget that's at a speed of about 60-65mph to get the advertised range. There are YouTube videos of Tesla owners driving across country, while semi trucks are passing them on the highway when the speed limit is 75/80.
The wiki page quotes 3 separate EPA measurements. As a consumer looking at that it would make me feel nervous as I'd have no clue the distance I'd get. At least with a gas car I can look at the needle but I simply don't know what to believe looking at the wiki page for the Tesla 3.

Reactions: darksithpro

Dmunjal

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I just googled and see that a Tesla has a range of about 300 miles and takes 9.5 hours to recharge. It sounds like an Apple Watch. I think I'll wait those 20 years.
Do you drive 24 hours a day? Do you sleep 8 hours a night?

I charge when I get home and wake up to a full charge when I wake up.

This is significantly more convenient than going to a gas station every two weeks and standing outside for 5-10 minutes.
[doublepost=1519090269][/doublepost]
The idea is there but the technology for it is not. Sometimes it's better not to be an early adopter for this type of beta product and let others take the hit. I equate it to solar panels, the tech in 5 years will make today's product look old, feel terrible, and those who bought now will feel ripped off. I know the value of every dollar of a 50k$ sticker price.
The wiki page quotes 3 separate EPA measurements. As a consumer looking at that it would make me feel nervous as I'd have no clue the distance I'd get. At least with a gas car I can look at the needle but I simply don't know what to believe looking at the wiki page for the Tesla 3.
It's 310 miles for the currently available Model 3. When was the last time you drove that much in a single day? My old Model S had only 200 miles and I never had a problem during a single day. Long trips take planning no doubt but for daily driving, 300 miles is more than enough.

Reactions: Eraserhead

Dmunjal

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Can you go on a 200 mille road trip without refueling on the way, while maintaining the flow of traffic, especially if that's around 75mph?
One way? Absolutely. Typically, you would charge at your destination or a Tesla Supercharger.

Tesla has partnerships with hotels and restaurants today.

https://www.tesla.com/destination-charging

And there are 10,000 superchargers worldwide.

https://www.tesla.com/supercharger

Trust me, they've solved the majority of concerns that you can come up with.

https://cleantechnica.com/files/2018/01/Tesla-Superchargers-USA.png

Dmunjal

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Here is my concern, go to the 1:30 mark and watch:

During the video he says he has a 242 mile charge at 90% (260 at 100%) which means he has a Model S 75D. The Model S 100D has 335 miles of range. The Model 3 LR has 310 miles of range.

I would say that if you do long trips, you have to go with a car that has over 300 miles of range which both the S100D and the 3LR have today. The Superchargers are spread out about every 150 miles so even cruising at 80-85 mph, you'll make it. The S75D and the upcoming 3SR have between 220 and 250. More than enough for daily commuting but not enough for lots of long trips.

Dmunjal

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
The one thing that chart doesn't show is range. How far can the Tesla 3 go before needing a recharge?
The current Model 3LR at $44K has 310 miles of range. The Model 3SR at $35K has 220 miles of range.

Here's a guy who did 310 miles in his Model 3. Remember, you charge at home every night while you sleep so you are at a full charge every morning.

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Here's a guy who did 310 miles in his Model 3. Remember, you charge at home every night while you sleep so you are at a full charge every morning.

When you're on the highway, using those those charging stations, what's the cost difference between a petrol engine and the charging station? Lets say the average cost per gallon for 87 is 3 dollars with a 15 gallon tank? Usually you have about 2 gallons left when you refuel, so lets say a typical fuel up costs 40 dollars.

Dmunjal

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
When you're on the highway, using those those charging stations, what's the cost difference between a petrol engine and the charging station? Lets say the average cost per gallon for 87 is 3 dollars with a 15 gallon tank? Usually you have about 2 gallons left when you refuel, so lets say a typical fuel up costs 40 dollars.
It depends on the state. OR is 12 cents a kwh and CA is 20 cents a kwh.

https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging

Let's use CA for comparison. At 20 cents, it will cost you $15 (75 kwh x .20 cents per kwh) for a full 100% charge from zero which you won't be doing as you said. I would say $12 is typical. So, even worst case, it is more than half as cheap as gas. Electricity is much cheaper at home. I pay 11 cents in CA overnight which is about $8 for a full charge for 300 miles. Remember, the Model 3 gets 126 mpg(e) which can help you in your comparison.

I have saved over $10K in the last five years on fuel I didn't have to buy.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Remember, you charge at home every night while you sleep so you are at a full charge every morning.
Except when we're not, like my recent example of being in Savannah, or not wanting to stop for 30 minutes at a very specific location to drive to Atlanta.

There are plenty of use cases where it's not the better option - by my fairly educated assessment - for me/my family (and that doesn't even factor in things like driving excitement, top down options under $200K, towing, large capacity hauling, etc.)

Dmunjal

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Except when we're not, like my recent example of being in Savannah, or not wanting to stop for 30 minutes at a very specific location to drive to Atlanta.

There are plenty of use cases where it's not the better option - by my fairly educated assessment - for me/my family (and that doesn't even factor in things like driving excitement, top down options under $200K, towing, large capacity hauling, etc.)
I agree. It's not for everybody. But there are millions for which it will work just fine. BTW, driving an EV is way more fun than any car of I've ever driven. Including some high-end sports cars. 100% torque at zero rpm is an amazing feeling.

Again, 400K people put down $1000 for a reservation on a Model 3. That doesn't happen in the auto industry.

Last edited:
Reactions: SusanK

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Buy the car you want. ;)

Dmunjal

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Tesla is a bigger cult than Apple ever has been.
That's a ridiculous comment. Apple has sold billions of iPhones not to mention iPads and Macs. Tesla has sold 300K cars. Not even in the same universe. There are more than 300K Apple fanbois in the city I live in (SF).

Reactions: juanm

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The current Model 3LR at $44K has 310 miles of range. The Model 3SR at $35K has 220 miles of range.

Ok, 200-300 miles before charging is ok for daily travel. But for a long trip, that ain't gonna cut it. How long does it take to fully charge?

I would say that if you do long trips, you have to go with a car that has over 300 miles of range which both the S100D and the 3LR have today. The Superchargers are spread out about every 150 miles so even cruising at 80-85 mph, you'll make it.
And where are these superchargers located?

ChrisWB

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
Chicago
I wasn't interested in a Tesla prior to reading the OP's plethora of threads on the company. Is this a viral marketing campaign?

Dmunjal

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Ok, 200-300 miles before charging is ok for daily travel. But for a long trip, that ain't gonna cut it. How long does it take to fully charge?

Home charging takes 6-8 hours but supercharging on the road takes 45 minutes.

The Tesla superchargers are located on major highways all over the US 150 miles apart, typically. They enable you to travel 150-200 miles (about 3 hours of non-stop highway driving) and then stopping for 30-45 minutes to recharge. The bigger the battery, the less you'll have wait to recharge.

Here's the current map. A Model 3 owner took a roundtrip coast to coast trip using this network in his new car putting 10K miles in one month.

Attachments

Reactions: Eraserhead

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
My next car is likely an i3, my only concern with EV is snow/ice driving here in Chicago.
That’s mostly because the i3 is rear wheel drive :). It’s a nice car. Huge inside.
[doublepost=1519125933][/doublepost]
Presuming destination charging I could have done Vegas to Chinle and back via Monument Valley. If you can do that you can do anything.

AutoUnion39

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/14/tesla-manufacturing-high-volume-of-flawed-parts-employees.html

Wasn't the Model 3 engineered to be easier to produce at a higher production rate? Doesn't seem to be the case at all

• Tesla employees say the company is manufacturing a high ratio of flawed parts and vehicles that need rework and repairs.
  • The electrical vehicle maker has had to ship some flawed parts to remanufacturing facilities to avoid scrapping them, rather than fixing them in-line, according to sources; Tesla denies this.
  • CEO Elon Musk is under pressure to ramp up production of the Model 3 sedan, Tesla's first mass-market electric vehicle.
Another current employee from Tesla's Fremont factory said the company's defect rate is so high that it's hard to hit production targets. Inability to hit the numbers is in turn hurting employee morale.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
You should really change your S/N if you're going to keep going after Tesla. Is this Dennis Williams?

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
You should really change your S/N if you're going to keep going after Tesla. Is this Dennis Williams?
Wrong Auto Union. Auto Union, as in the OP's S/N, refers to a very old and defunct marque.

Last edited: