Some first impressions of the 5s coming from the 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Oct 7, 2013.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

*Space grey doesn't look as expensive and good as slate black.

*5S camera flash too bright in some pictures compared to the 5.

*Finger print sensor not quite as response was I thought.

*Slow motion is good but don't see why the 5 couldn't do this?

*The interesting one userablity wise the speed is not much faster so far. Especially in Safari it's like for like. Old games load no quicker.

So of you have an iphone 5 fear not you are not missing much and still have the latest iphone (5C) just in last years metal case. 5S is not as big an update as you might expect.

2. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Disagree on all points. The "userability" is fine. It's faster, has a better camera, a better flash system, etc. The fingerprint scanner is way better/faster than I expected.

3. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Strongly disagree. The 5S is very fluid and handles any task with ease.

4. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I respectfully disagree as well. I went from the 5 to 5s. I'm very impressed with the upgrade. Everything opens / loads faster, the fingerprint sensor saves a lot of time unlocking the phone, and the camera is amazing. I'm happy with the upgrade.

5. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Yea agree with the ppl above me but agree with you on the space gray. I feel it doesn't look as slick as the slate. Which was upsetting cuz I loved the slate model. So switched this yea to white and silver

6. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

It's like using an ipad 2 after using ipad mini colour.

7. D3TSURA macrumors member

You are correct in that the space gray isn't as nice as the slate but that's pretty much all I agree with you on.

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Just like any upgrade from a base model to an "S", it's not going to be earth shattering. I've done this type of upgrade 3 times now. If you go in thinking it's going to be a huge upgrade, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. For me, filming my dogs in slow motion was worth the upgrade for me. Everything else is just icing.

9. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Disagree on all points. You might even have a defective unit.

10. vegasr macrumors newbie

+1

Just got my Space Grey 5s today, coming from the 5 and I love it. The 5s is noticeably better and I'm glad I upgraded.

11. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Come on guys OP is fishing.... He could of added this dribble on to any of the other 100 "My impression" threads, he wanted to fish for comments.

12. syd430 Guest

Few people know that the black panels on the space grey are actually a much more solid tone of black than on the slate 5 (or any other iphone before it). What ends up happening is that the screen and the black panels/bezels don't blend as well together and so the screen doesn't look flush with the panel (just like the iphone 4, iPad mini etc don't). I wrote a thread about this.

What I found though, is that over time it's really grown on me. The deeper black panels look absolutely gorgeous when actually using the phone, and unlike the iphone 5, the panels don't turn dark grey in direct sunlight. I think another reason they went with this is so the surrounding panels contrast with the slightly lighter home button, which no longer has a white box outline.

The 5s just has a much more industrial, heavier look at its a complete departure from the "one black slab" look of 5. Overall I like it a lot better now.

13. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

For myself and many people here, the absolute most important reason for getting a 5S quite obvious....it will run iOS8 much better than the 5 for the 2-3 overlap weeks you own the 5S just prior to getting the iPhone 6.

:D

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

And the 5 is not ???

He's not saying 5S is not fast, I just said is not any faster than a 5 in real world usage (aside of benchmarking)

----------

:D:D:D

This is the only reason to convince me to upgrade !

15. madKIR macrumors 6502

Ditto!
    Moreover, I just tested the cameras the 5 has way more noise in the pics and takes less detailed/lit pics in a low-light environment.

16. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I disagree on all points. I'm loving my my 5S. Speed increase is nice, cameras better and fingerprint sensor works very well for me.

17. InfinitiG, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013

InfinitiG macrumors 6502

I agree with the OP, that is why I returned the 5s and kept my 5.
    Space grey is a joke, the only reason they made it a lighter shade is because of the poor quality chamfered edge that chips when you touch it.
    Everyone here is in denial or are trying to justify their purchase, nothing wrong with that.

18. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

For all of you trying to justify your choice saying "it's faster", explain to me in which way.

Don't get me wrong, maybe I'm going to upgrade from 5 to 5S, because I owned every generations, but I'm not going lie myself.

Ok the camera is better in low light, ok its technology I'm intriguing for M7 and 64-bit .... but nothing more

19. Moshu macrumors member

upgrading from 4s was a big difference.

I would not recommend upgrading from 5 unless you have too much cash or you absolutely must have the latest and greatest.

:cool:

20. evorc, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013

evorc macrumors 6502a

evorc

Some first impressions of the 5s coming from the 5

Appreciate your honest review. I think this review is best suited for regular consumers who may not care for what the 5s offers and already own a 5. Tech people on the other hand will disagree. The iPhone 5s is a great update from iPhone 5. I don't regret the update at all, especially when it only cost me $50. If I didn't get a stellar deal, I would have been happy with my 5. I think this is what your pointing out. Smartphones have gotten into a point where it will be hard improve on the last and I'm pleased what Apple was able to do from the 5. I'm so glad Apple refuses to include gimmicks and non practical features like the S4 just to fake innovation. Also, imho space gray actually looks more elegant and much expensive than the black slate. This is coming from a guy that hated the space gray when unveiled.

21. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

6s from what I can tell is future proof. 64 bit tech under the hood ready for when it's needed in future. I own a 4 so leaps and strides from that!

22. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Well, 64 bit can't really be fully and efficiently utilized with 4 GB of ram.

I agree with OP, 5s is really not much faster than the OLD 5 in real world tests and usage. It is only fast in paper. There are reviews that say the same thing.

From 5 to 5s = a minor upgrade.

I am going to wait for the 6. The rumors it is going to be a 4.8 inch screen.

23. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

I went from the 5 to the 5s, wish I would have waited for the 6s, I heard it will be better than the 6. :p

24. KiwiAdventure macrumors 6502a

I sell my iPhone each year and it doesn't cost me hardly anything to change to the latest and greatest as long as you have your own company and are able to get your sales tax back as well depreciate the phone over 12 months. You must have apple care as this gives the new owner a 12 month warranty.

25. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Hell no, space grey looks awesome and classy. :rolleyes: