Some gay couples are having trouble obtaining divorces.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by NotFound, Apr 15, 2008.

1. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

First off, hi again! :D It's been a very long time since I've posted anything. :rolleyes:

From http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080415/ap_on_re_us/gay_divorce :

:( How sad. Your thoughts?

Divorce is going to happen, period. No matter what sexual preference you have.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And herein lies the problem of some states banning it and others allowing it. That Reverend cracks me up. They don't like us together, but they won't let us split up. They don't like gay marriage, but turn around and say our relationships aren't stable because we can't get married. Gotta love the religious right- you can never win with them.

That said, of course there are going to be gay divorce cases. It's silly to think there won't be. There should be a way to grant a divorce no matter where you live.

3. Queso macrumors G4

It shows just how far the USA has fallen behind the rest of the Western world in the area of gay rights. There was a time when I would have put money on gay marriage and equality being accepted in the US before countries such as the UK or Spain. Now even South Africa has gay marriage. Really quite sad how much America has swung to the right on this issue.

4. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Ugh. Divorce has to be the number one problem in America. Not Drugs. Not Terrorism. Not Gays. Not George Bush. Not the War. Divorce. The family is the center of any society. When it is ripped to shreds by divorce, the society is ripped to shreds. I don't care if you want to be gay or not, if you make a commitment, at least ATTEMPT to hold to it.

Please no flame wars on beating, cheating, molesting, etc. I understand there are SOME circumstances that merit a separation, but certainly not to the degree we currently see.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

As Spock might say, it's is logical that they go back to the jurisdiction that blessed their union to get a divorce.

What's the problem, or is this but a ploy??

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No one "wants to be gay", we just are (just a minor correction there, I think I know what you meant ;)). And I would daresay I know more long-term stable gay couples than straight ones.

Yes, you would be right. I think many people jump into marriage way too quickly. It's not a race people. Take your time and be sure.

And what ploy would that be?

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Why, I thought that would be obvious.

To get more states to recognise gay marriage.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

So- gay folks who want a divorce are secretly plotting to make more states recognize gay marriage? Are you serious? Wow- I didn't know we were that organized. I'll have to call the Gay Agenda Organization and find out about this! How ingenius! Honestly, you can't really believe that.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Are you seriously suggesting that the only reason that same-sex couples are pretending to be upset at being made to take up residence in another state for a year in order to get a legal divorce is to "get more states to recognise gay marriage"? A little bit of a stretch, don't you think?

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Stretch?? Sure.

But that's what the Internet is all about, isn't it??

[​IMG]

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Us straight people don't need to go back to the state where we got married to get divorced. Why should gay people go back to the state they got married to get kicked out to the curb and half their sh*t taken by their ex? :D

Oh noes, teh gh3ys are spreading their disease to the rest of the country! Quick, to the bomb shelter, teh gh3y germs can't get us there!

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The internet and reason are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

As a question to those who might know more about the logisitics of civil-union/ gay marriage laws around the country - in practical terms, what does this matter?

What I mean is that if you were a gay couple who got married in Mass. or entered into a civil partnership in a State allowing such, and then moved to a State not recognizing either, well doesn't the issue of dissolving the union become moot? After all, it isn't recognized.

If you wished to enter into a new marriage/union, would you not travel to a state to sanctify this, which would allow you to (potentially) also annul any previous agreement?

I guess it is all so confusing to figure out to me. Of note, I would prefer there be the option of marriage available to all in every state.

BTW, it is nice to see my State (oregon) in some positive light...

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Even though some states don't recognize them, some companies do, so it could create problems when it comes to things like insurance, joint bank accounts and loans, things like that. Plus, depending on how bad the breakup was, it might be nice to officially be separated from them.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Brilliant. Kudos.

If you take me for a homophobe, you are wrong.

If someone wants to live out their life in a same-sex relationship, more power to them. I wish them to last longer then mine. :p

I just happen to not see a future in it, unless Mother Nature is usurped by medical science.

;)

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Considering the dangerously-large world population coupled with a dwindling resource base - your comment may prove ironic.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

For someone so avowedly disinterested, you make some very tendentious assertions.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

An interesting observation, and one I had not considered.

"Gays save the World from itself." It has a nice ring.

Unfortunately, the pyramid scheme that we now operate under will not allow such a situation to occur, without first causing Society to collapse upon itself.

19. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

gay divorce issues... lol :D
    dont get married if youre not going to stay married, regardless of gender.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It would never happen anyway. The whole world isn't going to turn gay, no matter how much the religious right tries to say so. There simply aren't many of us to begin with and I doubt gay sex is so tempting that everyone would go that way. That has always cracked me up. OMG! Let the gays get married and everyone will want to do it and the whole human race will die out! Come on, it's so ridiculous.

21. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

i dont think gays are really interested in the term "marriage" so much as they are interested in the rights that straight couples have.
    and that seems like it could happen in the not so distant future.

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Teh Gays™ can't get divorced because they're not really married.

I mean come on, if there are two men, who has the vagina?
    That'll get letter....

23. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Me.

24. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh.

Well OK, GAME ON I guess.

25. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

They wouldn't know what to do with it anyways, so it's a win-win arrangement.