SOME gun laws are pretty stupid.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Feb 20, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Uhhh. Wow. I though NC was bad with a fee to purchase a pistol. Teach her to reload, that's still legal in California isn't it?

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

A few years after the passage of GCA 1968, I began asking people to show any law which served to reduce the rate of violent crimes involving firearms.

So far, no answers in over forty years. So, my claim is that no gun control law has ever affected anybody except honest, non-violent law-abiding people.

4. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Makes you wonder ....
    Reloading is but now requires fingerprinting to buy certain components.
    And, if you loan or gift your gun you are required to perform a full background check on the recipient. That went into affect last year I think.

5. Mlrollin91, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017

Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

She can't legally own a handgun in CA though, no? Handguns are 21 years old, while rifles and shotguns are 18. I'm pretty sure its Federal Law for handguns being a minimum of 21 years old. So that would make sense that she can't buy ammo for it until she is 21.

6. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

That's to buy. Possession is a no to minors. Minors are classified as being under 18.
    http://smartgunlaws.org/minimum-age-to-purchase-possess-in-california/

7. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Agreement

8. Mlrollin91, Feb 20, 2017

Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I read the penal codes listed as sources in the article that you posted, and they don't match what the article is claiming.

"Exceptions to this prohibition include situations where a parent or legal guardian is present or has consented to the possession."

This above is not actually listed in the penal code.

Here is the penal code in reference, the above is not stated. http://law.justia.com/codes/california/2011/pen/part-6/29610-29615/29615

For the record: I'm not trying to argue, I'm just stating that the penal codes don't match what the website was saying. I had previously read that website before posting originally. Additionally, my older brother use to be an officer. And a sister and brother-in-law have CCWs in CA.

9. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Man, I'm sorry you have to go through that. Just over a decade ago Texas was stricter and California was pretty easy going. Now Texas will soon have constitutional carry. Thank God.

Here's my theory: California is full of insane people because the radiation from WWII nukes has been blown over there, BUT Fukashima made it MUCH worse. So the conservatives are clearly immune, while the liberals must have been deeply effected. They come to Texas and get better. The ones who made a liberal stronghold in Houston, were simply born insane.

Best thing you can give your little girl, is a ticket to a free state and first years rent. It sucks, I know. I have three girls of my own, but if Texas came down on it's citizens, the way CA has on theirs, I'd flee as if I was in a gay bar and felt something brush across my ass.

THOUGH, it's great that you're doing that for her. Good man!

10. Mlrollin91, Feb 20, 2017

Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Your "hypothesis" doesn't really hold up considering CA voted Republican from 1952 to 1992 with 1964 being the only exception. Just because others have different opinions than us Californians, doesn't make us insane. I don't walk around calling you Texans insane. :/. You are suppose to counter the argument, not the person. Otherwise its an ad hominem fallacy.

Maybe one day the name calling will stop and people can come together as Americans and stop with the ideological nonsense. Everyone can have their own opinions and doesn't make the opposition insane. Law school is a great teacher of this.

11. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Maybe one day the "feelings" driven rebuttals will stop. Us Texans get called insane ALL of the time and I don't give too sides of a ****. Hell, maybe a lot of us ARE! Then again, maybe not.

My "hypothesis" holds up just fine. If your reading comprehension does not betray you, you will realize that I stated CA was actually more open than Texas was, until a little over a decade ago. I know CA politics well and am aware of democrat/republican eras.

So let me explain; The radiation from WWII SLOOOOOOOOOWLY started turning folks looney. Then at around 92... WHAT WOOOOH what a coincidence! So around 92, things started getting reeeeeal bad. THEN BAM! Fukashima lots it's "cool" and CA dropped the constitution into the paper shredder.

Anyway, obviously I'm messing around with the OP and joking. I'm not calling any ONE person insane so cut the emotional "feelings", read between the lines while putting words in my mouth CRAP.

Have a good night ;)

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I'm not putting words in your mouth, so not sure where you are getting that, you literally stated Californians are insane. But your hypothesis still doesn't hold. Those that would have been affected by the radiation would have already started dying by the 90s and surely wouldn't still be alive today. I know you are just trying to be funny, but it just logically doesn't make sense. I'm a logical guy, sorry can't help it. Thats who I am, I guess I must be insane.

But, this has nothing to do with 'feelings', and is surely not a feelings rebuttal, this just has to do with the state of our country. Everyone hates everyones. Its literally what is has come down to, and one day people will need to wake up and realize that it doesn't help anyone. The only way for our country to ever heal and succeed is for everyone to come together, both right and left. My point is, going around calling people insane because of their opinions doesn't help anyone.

You also have a good night. :)

13. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

NOOOOO I did not sir... I DID say some of them were immune, and therefore NOT insane. See? Twisty twisty, losing your credibility...

I don't think everyone hates everyone. I think most of us are on MOSTLY the same page and a small percentage of extremists are making news headlines with their radical actions, making things seem worse. My best friend of 20 years is a die hard liberal and him and I always end up realizing we both want the same thing, but may differ on the the way to get there, and the things we DO disagree on, either find compromise, or get pushed to the side for the sake of tolerating one another. We do quite well.

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You implied conservatives are sane and liberals are insane.
    "So the conservatives are clearly immune, while the liberals must have been deeply effected."

Not sure how I am being "twisty twisty" when those are exactly your words.

But to your second point. I am the same way. I have very conservative friends, and I am moderately liberal. We agree and we disagree. Again, similar to you. Its the approach that is always different. Its the vast grouping and name calling that makes it "uncomfortable". We are all guilty of it in a way or another. I am not saying anyone is innocent, I'm just saying in the long run it doesn't help anyone.

15. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

BAM! NOW you're being honest! Good job. I did imply that, though I was joking. But you stated... "you literally stated Californians are insane", implying I called, simply, Californians insane, twisting the facts, like the news.

Name calling doesn't even make my liberal friends uncomfortable. All of us think it's pretty sad when someone can't let lose on a little name calling now and again, without someone getting all riled up about it. It's pretty immature to let a little name calling derail how comfortable I am in the presence of my best friend, ruining the dynamics of our discussion.

I agree, we are ALL guilty of it. Difference is, some of us don't let it dictate our emotions.

My toes are extremely tired of lifting me up as I try and work my way around emotions. I'm hoping Trump's being nominated helps alleviate some of it. People shouldn't be encouraged to tiptoe around "offending" someone and they have been encouraged so much, that now EVERYTHING offends those types of people. What happen to the days when we can break each other's balls? I remember when actions and words were two different things. Now, you call someone an ******* and they act like you just hit em in the face with a baseball bat.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You are correct, I should have originally said "you literally stated some Californians are insane". I apologize.

Again, I am not disagreeing with you about the political correctness. It has gotten pretty extreme and stupid, but blanket statements are what I take offense with because I pride myself on not being blanketed or stereotyped for any reason. I am a unique person, with my own opinions and thoughts. So when one 'blanket' covers me, its when I get annoyed and ticked off. For example, I was a server through high school and college and because of that, I learned how to tip when I would go out to eat. But being a high school/college student, other servers wouldn't give me the time of day because they figured I was going to tip poorly, and therefore gave me poor service. Little did they know, I had years of experience and would have tipped them properly.

Ramble over, the point I am trying to convey is that labeling California liberals as insane (even if you are joking) doesn't get us anywhere! It doesn't make anything better, so why do it?

With that being said, I thoroughly enjoyed our back and forth and I need to get some sleep before class in the morning. Goodnight!

17. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

I appreciate the apology, but no need. You are obviously a person of integrity and acknowledging you were wrong is apology enough. We all slip up on these damned internet forums, where we discuss and try so hard to interpret by nothing more than context clues from text.

I tend to not appreciate blanket statements either, but I'm more specific about when it bothers me, and that is when it's a personal comment, face to face, and is pretty severely ridiculous. In other words, it's hard to press my buttons but intended blanket statement DO bug me. BUT, I do keep in mind that most blanket statements should be assumed to have exceptions. And that's one factor that I think people need to stop being so offended. Everyone wants immediate clarification from the mouth of the insulter, but I think it's our job as intelligent free thinkers, to use subtle clues to do the clarifying for ourselves. I hate having to think for other's lack of clarity, but it's a good safeguard against conflict.

Oh man, servers are such lazy people...

Hahaha just playing. Another blanket statement about something you used to do. I was seriously just being an ******* and made a joke. My wife was a server for a few years through college. They work hard.

As to your serious note, I honestly DO think that calling SOME liberals insane DOES get us somewhere. Why? Because I believe that if we don't acknowledge what we think about someone, or something, progress can not be made. For instance, I can be a dick head. So much so that sometimes I may not realize I'm being an *******. If nobody tells me I'm being an *******, I may not know that I need to tone things down. So by the definition of insane...

in·sane
    inˈsān/
    adjective
    1. 1.
      in a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill.
    ...Far left people are, as well as some far right wing people who may be racist. And it needs to be said. We just need to strive for balance and honesty, as to be fair in the acknowledgement of our observation. Mine, is that most far left liberals have no common sense, reason, and are poster people for hypocrisy. I honestly DO think that most far left liberals are insane.

To clarify, I have nothing against democrats. I am only talking about those freedom hating, anti American, fact disregarding, moral high ground lefties. I'm sure you're a swell guy.

I also enjoyed out discussion. Have a good day and don't forget the salt for your liberal arts classes. You're gonna need more than a grain. :D

18. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

but think of how much safer everyone is JK. It's a small price sure, but now criminals are facing such a tough restriction and all.....

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Under 21 can't purchase a handgun, but they can receive one as a gift.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Is this in California? What components require finger printing?

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

22. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

ATF should be a convenience store not a federal agency.

23. poloponies macrumors 68030

Fairly asinine. Local gun laws within the US are meaningless. Everyone is quick to point out how Chicago has both restrictive gun laws and massive gun violence. Well, Chicago is not surrounded by a moat. You can bring guns in by the trunkload from Indiana or even neighboring towns. I'm 100% in agreement that local gun laws are useless, which is why all restrictions should be nationwide.

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

no thanks.