Some help in turning up simple evidence of why WEP is bad and WPA is good.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Dec 24, 2008.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Basically here's the situation... I was over at my girlfriend's place when their network went down. It was a simple fix (their DSL modem got disconnected, and the router isn't picking up the new IP address, so I just restarted it and it's fine), but in the process I found out that they are using WEP, and even worse, the access to the router is left open (I mean literally, the username is admin and password is blank, just as it was when it came out of the box).

It's a sad fact that a lot of people out there don't secure their networks, but alas that's not my problem, but I try to help when I can, so I switched their security to WPA (WPA2 isn't supported on some hardware, and they have some old computers, so WPA is a more safe option). All works fine.

That was during Thanksgiving. Well a couple of their computers had problems crashing after the switch (one was crashing before, so that's not a surprise, but they claimed the other one wasn't before), so they called a technician to come in and fix things up. This "technician" told them that WEP is newer and more secure than WPA. :eek:

And yes, this "technician" is *paid*, not a friend or anything. Yes, they *paid* this technician to switch the router back from WPA to WEP.

Well I'm pissed, but they wouldn't believe me (or my girlfriend), because the "technician" said so. *facepalm*

So I'm asking... any of you have any links to any simple, easy-to-understand explanation that says that the technician is a hack, and a ****tard?

Sorry, I meant to say, an explanation of WEP and WPA, and that WPA is better, and that WEP is insecure?

2. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Think computer-illiterate and english-as-a-second-language, and you see my problem here.

3. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

4. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Just give them time.

When the computer STILL crashes then they will realize

"za internets is bad! always break computer, wep wpa i dono! come have coffee"
    ^^ if they are anything like my family.