Some interesting clues with this event invitation.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheDeviceUser, Aug 29, 2014.

1. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

Just a little speculation here. I've noticed something a little interesting regarding this event invitation.

Judging by recent past history, for all apple event (Excluding WWDC), Apple has almost always announced their event's 7 or 8 days in advance.

E.g
    October 2013 'We've got a lot more to cover' event.
    Invite sent out 7 days in advance (October 15th announced, October 22nd event)

September 2013 'This should brighten your day' event
    Invite sent out 7 days in advance (September 3rd announced, September 10th event)

October 2012 'We've got a little more to show you' event
    Invite sent out 7 days in advance (October 16th announced, October 23rd event)

September 2012 'It's almost here' event.
    Invite sent out 8 days in advance (September 4th announced, September 12th event)

This event however, totally breaks the mould. Apple has announced this event 12 days in advance. This is not normal Apple behaviour, and therefore, i'd suggest that this, combined with the cryptic invite, the huge structure going up at the event location, as well as the large number of people attending, surely suggests that this event is something special, something totally out of the ordinary.

Another thing I thought, was that could it be announced earlier as they want to give people as much notice as possible? Some news outlets may have not been able to attend in the past due to the short notice, therefore, could the earlier event invite be something to do with this?

Just a little speculation... Whatever happens though.. It's going to be an exciting event!

2. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

what do you mean announced earlier? like before September 9? LULZZZ why would u invite people and then change the date?

its kinda like inviting your friend to your b-day party on the 9th and then have ur bday on 9/7 hahaha.

3. TheDeviceUser thread starter macrumors 6502a

As in it's been announced earlier than normal. Usually, it's announced 7/8 days in advance. This one is 12 days in advance. Much earlier.

4. pmau macrumors 65816

Maybe they are aware that Samsung plans a big "Samsung Galaxy NearYou" event a few days after. But honestly, I'm not THAT excited anymore.

When the iPhone 4 came out, I was HYPED. The design, although it was beaten to death, was absolutely stunning.

The 4s,5,5s,5c are not that exciting. Except the 5s really is great performance wise.

I cannot imagine that I will be thrilled. We saw Swift, I assume it's not really out of beta to submit highly optimized stuff.

Meaning that the same story continues on a bigger screen.

The iWatch might be something I will be excited about, but honestly I'm currently thinking that most of us overdose on mobile stuff anyways.

Why do I write this: I would be REALLY excited if Apple would play it low key.
    It's not a new paradigm, it's not new materials, it's not a new software stack.

New concept require new products with different use cases, the iPhone6 is not that product, it's Apple's cash generator.

The iWatch will probably be too limited.

5. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

I too, am HOPING that they have something totally unexpected up their sleeve.

Yeah... Right

6. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

I think they wanted to announce it before the holiday weekend.

7. TheDeviceUser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Think about it though. Most events do have something unexpected...

WWDC 14
    Swift

September 2013
    64 bit iPhone 5s

WWDC 13
    Mac Pro

October 2012
    New iMac, iPad 4.

There's usually something we don't expect or at least, haven't seen before.

8. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

What I meant was I hope there's something revolutionary in store.

9. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

OP is referring to the invitations Apple sends to its guest. The invitations are sent out 7 days before the actual event. This is what OP considers an announcement before the actual event which OP words oddly.

10. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

We are speaking about 2,000 people, probably many international journalists. So they are giving them more time.
    In comparison, iPhone 5s event had around 300 attendees.

11. iBanker macrumors regular

Most likely due to this reason. The holiday falls earlier in September and announcing it after would only leave a few days for media to prep.

12. NickG420 macrumors regular

NickG420

I am amazed that I clicked this thread only to find there nothing interesting AT ALL in the OP....

Bravo, mate....Well done!

13. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

Im wondering why its so plain? I mean, Apple has always used white as a background color, but there was always some color in it (iphone 5s and iPad air event invites). Im wondering if its becuase there was SO many leaks that they don't want to give any more away?

14. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This.

After readying 9to5Mac's story today "Seeing Through the Illusion: Understanding Apple’s Mastery of the Media" I think things are being done differently in regards to how Apple treats the media and considering next week the U.S. has a Holiday, Apple just wants to give the media ample time to book a flight and hotel.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, to be fair, 12 days is earlier than 7/8 days, but not really much earlier. It's different, but not really that different. And, even with the difference, it doesn't necessarily mean there's something to it. At some point someone might do something slightly different than what was done before--that's how change happens, and change happens all the time with a lot of things--and it doesn't really mean anything aside from them just deciding to do it that way for some unrelated reasons or practically no reason.

Basically, it might not mean anything at all, and probably doesn't.

----------

And there's basically that too, which is fairly different than before and can certainly fit in better with fairly basic logistics type of reasoning for somewhat earlier invitations.