Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I've been thinking about getting an iPod soon because I'm going to be on the bus traveling from home to school, etc etc and having one would greatly contribute to my sanity.

However, the only computer that I own with Firewire is a PC and I know there are ways to sync them, but most of my music is in AAC format and some comes from the iTMS so if I were to sync them from a PC, could I use the AACs and everything else also?

Oh and if anybody knows where I can get one for cheap (like around $100 or so) pleeze post.

Cheers,

-V

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
Replace your old iBook and get one for $69. $200 mail-in w/Books for students.

You could also buy a PowerBoook with student loan money and sell it for a profit, then your iPod could be free.

This is where my loan is going, well this and the Howard Dean campaign.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Transfering songs

I know that in iTunes you can select which playlists can be changed and the iPod can be set to manual update. The problem will be the iPod is using the file-format that is associated with a Mac and Windows cannot use this, so I think to sync you would need to wipe the drive and start over. This doesn't work the other way however. If you can change it now, you can make it a Windows IPod (they are instructions in the manual I believe) and then sync it to the Mac anyways and then you will be able to manually add songs later using Musicmatch.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
You'll be able to transfer the AAC files to the PC, but if the app on the PC doesn't recognise them as audio files, you may have problems with the transfer to iPod, if it does, it may not be able to play them but you should be able to transfer them to the iPod, but you'll need a Windoze iPod I would guess.

Doesn't your iBook have a PC card slot? I'm sure there's a PC firewire card out there somewhere.

Good luck V:)

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by WinterMute

Doesn't your iBook have a PC card slot? I'm sure there's a PC firewire card out there somewhere.

Nope, this is the oldest model of iBook, the next revision has Firewire but no iBooks have PC card slots so to add Firewire to it I'd have to swap out the entire logic board so I'd be better off getting a new one as soon as I can afford it but until then....

So if I were to format it as a Windows one it would sync with all my music on the PC?

Thanx,

-V

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.