Some iPod shuffle buying experiences are better than others

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
This guy is an idiot.

First, he goes to a store that is clearly sold-out, and tries badgering a minimum-wage salesdroid with questions that he knows she can't possibly answer.

Then he goes to a store that has iPods in a glass case, and instead of asking a clerk to open the case, he stands around like an idiot waiting for somebody to read his mind and come to him. He eventually gives up and leaves the store, never having actually asked anybody for assistance.

Then, when he finds a store with the iPods in stock, and a clerk to take one out of the case, he starts whining that he can't be the one to carry it to the register.

Sounds like a classic case of a troll to me.

billpalmer

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2004
Nice way to completely misrepresent every word I said, and in such a short amount of space :eek:

But seriously,though, are bottom feeders such as yourself ever going to get tired of following me around the internet and bashing me every chance you get, on every topic I write about, just because you simply can't get over the fact that you and I have a differing opinion about the Mac mini?

I mean really, go stalk somebody else.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Sorry dude, but as a fellow journalist I don't understand the need to write about you buying something, especially a product that has been out for over half a year now.

The first poster had several valid points, so just take it as constructive criticism.

billpalmer

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2004
The first poster was just trying to be derogatory. There's a vast difference between constructive criticism and mindless bashing.

The reason I wrote about it is that most of us veteran iPod users haven't gone out to retail and tried to buy an iPod lately, so the current state of the iPod retail experience isn't exactly something that most of us are familiar with. When I went out and bought the shuffle, it opened my eyes as to how messy/silly/sad the whole third-party iPod retail experience is, and so I decided to share what I'd gathered with others.

I didn't think I had to spell that out, but clearly some folks don't catch on as quickly as others...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I guess I don't really know or care who you are, and don't have much interest in following you around the net, but I also don't really understand the point in your article. You never go, as far as I could tell, to an Apple store. You go to a bunch of large electronics chains in search of a popular electronics device. Which makes me wonder, if you had been out in search of some other gotta-have-it electronics device, would it have been any different? Yes, the big electronics retailers are evil, evil places that I too hate, hate going.

But that is no more unique to the iPod than to anything else they sell. The only fault, if any, that the iPod bears in this is that it is popular. So is the conclusion that it should have been designed poorly, so as to be somewhat more unpopular, and thereby easier to buy, like an iRiver or Creative player?

Or, do you believe that this problem is unique to the iPod, and not to other similarly popular electronics products? If *that's* the case, then what is the basis of the conclusion? There's nothing in your article to support that contention.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
The local telco used to run ads with people getting into situations like this, followed by a voiceover nagging "You could have called ahead."

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Folks, hate to break it to you. This billpalmer MR dude is a fake. Am I wrong? Discuss.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Many of the points in your write-up are totally moot. You could have asked for help at Best Buy. You mentioned mindreading, and I'm sorry.. but that is not a power they posses there. I'm sure if you had taken two seconds to walk up to a rep, they would have opened the case, and freed your iPod shuffle. Lots of people who work there don't want to come off as overbearing, or "rush" people by saying "could I open the case and hand you one?"

I also don't understand your rant about Comp USA's stocking practices. Their apple sections aren't equipped to hold a bunch of iPods. They've had that front section with cell phones, cameras and other PMPs for a long time. I think it's totally logical that they put a portable electronic with the rest of the portable electronics.

Buying an iPod really isn't that difficult of an ordeal, even if you're in a rush. It feels as though you weren't trying to be informative with your story, as much as you were pissed off about the "poor service" you received, and needed to vent.

And before you say it, I have never heard of you in my life. I don't know what you said about the Mac mini, and I've never (knowingly) read a single review by you in my life. I am not flaming you as a person, but rather your write-up as just another rant.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Lacero said:
Folks, hate to break it to you. This billpalmer MR dude is a fake. Am I wrong? Discuss.
Damn, I was kinda wondering about that. Bill Palmer at MR?!
It was an odd column considering A)never asked for assistance and B)the shuffle has been out for a while now.

But I loved this quote from the CompUSA sales guy:
To which he responded, “Yeah, sorry about that, things aren’t in the right place right now. We’re about to remodel so we can make more room for all the Apple stuff. It’s all anybody wants anymore. It’s taking over.”

billpalmer

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2004
Lacero said:
Well, that's a first.

I've been accused of being many things over the years, but this is the first time I've been accused of not even being me... :D

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
billpalmer said:
Well, that's a first.

I've been accused of being many things over the years, but this is the first time I've been accused of not even being me... :D
So what are you doing here? If I remember you don't particularly favor macs. No?

Are you looking for feadback on your articles?

mxpiazza

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
cleveland, oh
you seem to be happy about the fact that apple is popular, yet the article has some weird negative undertone, that is (obviously, given the replies to the thread) not clear at all.... best buy, walmart, circuit city all sell DVDs, CDs, refridgerators, toasters, TVs, etc.... things that Apple dosen't do, which is why you should have just gone to the apple store in the first place. of course 16-year-old kids have no desire or reason to want to learn about the 200 different companies and thousands of products in their superstore, they make $6.25 an hour... if you wanted help, you could have 1) asked for it, or 2) gone to a place with informed help... the APPLE STORE.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Just so you know for the future:

At Best Buy, if the guys don't walk over to you, WALK OVER TO THEM! They want your money and will gladly open the case for you.

And at CompUSA, the Apple section sells MACS! The MP3/Music section sells iPods! There is an MP3 section right in the middle, with Creative Zen Micros and iPods everywhere!

Not too hard to buy an iPod - everyone else in the world can with ease...

billpalmer

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2004
Daveway said:
So what are you doing here? If I remember you don't particularly favor macs. No?

Are you looking for feadback on your articles?
I can't imagine you're serious. I'm one of the most die-hard Mac supporters out there, as has been well-evidenced by the Mac-related websites I've been publishing over the past few years. But then, I know that there are a few Mac Geeks who can't accept that fact, just because I'm not a fan of their precious Mac mini.

I've personally helped more people switch to the Mac (both in real life and across the internet) than I care to remember. Anyone who tries to tell you that I'm not a Mac fan is biased by their undying allegience to the Mac mini (even over the Mac itself), and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Why am I here? For the same reason you are, I suppose. It's a Mac site. And I'm a Mac user.

billpalmer

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2004
dotdotdot said:
Just so you know for the future:

At Best Buy, if the guys don't walk over to you, WALK OVER TO THEM! They want your money and will gladly open the case for you.

And at CompUSA, the Apple section sells MACS! The MP3/Music section sells iPods! There is an MP3 section right in the middle, with Creative Zen Micros and iPods everywhere!

Not too hard to buy an iPod - everyone else in the world can with ease...
It's fairly clear that none of you read the article fully. In it I explained that both of the Best Buy salesboys in the area was absolutely not going to help me one way or the other. One was hellbent on changing a woman's mind about the digital camera she had chosen (apparently he was going to get a higher commission if she changed her mind), and the other very carefully making sure that his conversation with friends off the street had the appearance of him assisting them. I could have walked up to either of these clowns, interrupted their conversation, and demanded that they help me, but I knew full well that they would have simply said something about they were already helping someone and they would be there in a minute...only to never come my way. I've dealt with these clowns before. So have you.

As far as the CompUSA thing, since I apparently have to spell out every single last freaking detail for the denser folks in these parts, the iPods were nowhere near the damn iPod peripherals. That's what threw me off. That's what was wrong with the store's layout.

Stop being a troll by bending over backwards beyond reason to find fault with my actions and/or my article. If y'all would stop wasting so much time and effort here to tear down everything and everyone for no reason other than the joy of tearing down, this might be a place more worth hanging out in.

But I guess it's more fun to make up totally bizarre and randomly inaccurate criticisms of the author and/or article, than it is to actually read the articles being posted before commenting on them.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
billpalmer said:
It's fairly clear that none of you read the article fully. In it I explained that both of the Best Buy salesboys in the area was absolutely not going to help me one way or the other. One was hellbent on changing a woman's mind about the digital camera she had chosen (apparently he was going to get a higher commission if she changed her mind), and the other very carefully making sure that his conversation with friends off the street had the appearance of him assisting them. I could have walked up to either of these clowns, interrupted their conversation, and demanded that they help me, but I knew full well that they would have simply said something about they were already helping someone and they would be there in a minute...only to never come my way. I've dealt with these clowns before. So have you.

As far as the CompUSA thing, since I apparently have to spell out every single last freaking detail for the denser folks in these parts, the iPods were nowhere near the damn iPod peripherals. That's what threw me off. That's what was wrong with the store's layout.

Stop being a troll by bending over backwards beyond reason to find fault with my actions and/or my article. If y'all would stop wasting so much time and effort here to tear down everything and everyone for no reason other than the joy of tearing down, this might be a place more worth hanging out in.

But I guess it's more fun to make up totally bizarre and randomly inaccurate criticisms of the author and/or article, than it is to actually read the articles being posted before commenting on them.
I worry that you have anger issues... calm down a bit mate, ok? People are allowed to dislike a news article if they want. Stay cool. :D And don't discount "these clowns" if you don't even give them a chance. Their jobs are only made harder by people discounting them on sight.

billpalmer

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2004
Anger issues? Not a chance.

Just disappointed that some folks seem to see this site as nothing more than an exercise in armchair slamdancing.

As I've said for perhaps the thirty-fourth time now, there were only two sales personnel anywhere near the iPod section, and yeah, based on what I saw, I discounted the one guy on the sight of one guy trying to get someone else to buy something she didn't want, and the sight of the other guy brazenly chatting with his friends while on the clock and ignoring real customers.

I didn't need the first guy to come over and try to force me to buy a Rio Nitrus instead of an iPod shuffle, which is what he surely would have done, if that's the way the commissions happen to line up for him. And the other guy wasn't going to help anyone no matter what. His friends were posing as nagging customers that had him all tied up, and that was specifically to make sure he didn't have to help anyone else.

And (once again) as I said in the article, there was a whole crowd of customers in the iPod section who absolutely could not get any help from anyone. The only person in the general area who wasn't specifically trying to make himself unavailable was the Nextel guy in the purple shirt. And as I mentioned in the article, he didn't have a key to the cabinet. And for that matter, even he knew that it wasn't worth trying to get the attention of the blue-shirted clowns, or he would surely have tried to do so himself. It just wasn't going to happen.

I want you to stop, just for a moment, and think about the silly position you've put yourself in here. You're so desperate to find some kind of fault with my actions that you're coming to the defense of rogue Best Buy salesmen. Just think about that.

billpalmer

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2004
There was nothing frustrating about it. In fact, as the saga went, I realized it was a unique opportunity for insight into what potential iPod buyers currently face, something with which most of us veteran iPod users aren't particularly familiar with. I included the idiotic actions of the various salesfolks primarily for humor, which, I suppose, was lost on the people of this site.

For all the generic bashing that's gone on on this thread, no one's picked up the fact that in Best Buy the shuffle's competitors can be purchased without the help of a salesperson, while the shuffle itself can only be bought by those lucky enough to get ahold of someone with a key; the fact that in WalMart, they only put a handful of each iPod model on display, and when those are sold, they aren't willing to get you one from the back; the fact that in CompUSA, the shuffle is so popular that it's enough of a theft risk that the salespeople won't let you carry it to the counter yourself.

But I suppose that because I didn't spell out any of these finer points in BIG BLOCK LETTERS, they went right past the people here who were too busy trying to figure out an angle from which to criticize me for the sheer sake of criticism. Hey, I've learned not to take it personally. It's just a bit sad that a large chunk of the folks here show up every day just for the fun of bashing articles they didn't even bother to read.

polyesterlester

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2002
Soldotna, Alaska
billpalmer said:
I included the idiotic actions of the various salesfolks primarily for humor, which, I suppose, was lost on the people of this site.
That's pretty heavy-handed, Bill. You can call everyone idiots, but when someone calls you one, you can't handle it?

billpalmer said:
But I suppose that because I didn't spell out any of these finer points in BIG BLOCK LETTERS, they went right past the people here who were too busy trying to figure out an angle from which to criticize me for the sheer sake of criticism. Hey, I've learned not to take it personally. It's just a bit sad that a large chunk of the folks here show up every day just for the fun of bashing articles they didn't even bother to read.
I read the entire article. And I'm open-minded enough to say that I enjoyed it, even though I've been fairly vocal on these forums as being against so many of your articles. Although, it still wasn't news, and a lot of the comments on this site ring very true (you could've given the employees at Best Buy a chance. Also, you can't exactly claim that the CompUSA guy didn't let you carry the iPod shuffle - he let you once you said something. More likely, he was just trying to be helpful).

But, the main thing, Bill, is this: nobody cares about your article on the Mac mini. I know it didn't change my feelings about you. I'm open to reading an intelligent opinion that differs from mine, or opens me up to new ideas. What we don't like is arrogance. You try to build yourself up as a successful leader whose web sites are at the top of their prospective fields, but you just come off as delusional. You don't need to refer to your website as "the leader in iPod and iTunes commentary" to get people to like you ;)

There's a reason you don't see us bashing everyone else. Maybe you should learn to accept some of the blame.

mxpiazza

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
cleveland, oh
polyesterlester said:
I read the entire article. And I'm open-minded enough to say that I enjoyed it, even though I've been fairly vocal on these forums as being against so many of your articles. Although, it still wasn't news, and a lot of the comments on this site ring very true (you could've given the employees at Best Buy a chance. Also, you can't exactly claim that the CompUSA guy didn't let you carry the iPod shuffle - he let you once you said something. More likely, he was just trying to be helpful).
yeah... bill, i dont agree with many of your views, and you come off as a you can dish it out but not take it kind of guy... and i did actually enjoy your article until the end, i think whatever point you were trying to make was lost on the majority of your readers... so instead of getting pissed at the community and trying to make us all feel like its *our* fault that we were confused about what point, if any, you were trying to make.

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Hey Bill,

Good to see you again. These guys are way biased and have already made up their minds to gang up on you. No matter how much you try to explain anything to them, they won't listen to reason or reality. They will just argue to argue, no matter how many times you explain how off they are.

I find it funny how stridey interpreted your comments. He or she obviously does not know your personalty. Now, I do have anger issues and I have been in similar situations more times than I care to remember. I like to start making a scene or disrupting business for the store when I am put in that situation. You'd think throwing things off shelves would get attention right away, but still the employees just avoid helping and no one cares.

I found your article entertaining.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
billpalmer said:
Nice way to completely misrepresent every word I said, and in such a short amount of space
I call it the way I see it.

If you left out any details about your shopping experiences (like maybe asking a Best Buy employee to open the case) that's not my problem.
billpalmer said:
But seriously,though, are bottom feeders such as yourself ever going to get tired of following me around the internet and bashing me every chance you get, on every topic I write about, just because you simply can't get over the fact that you and I have a differing opinion about the Mac mini?
My my, paranoid aren't we?

In case you haven't figured it out yet, I read almost every article that MacBytes posts a link to, and I comment on almost every one of them. I call lots of journalists idiots, not just you.

If you don't like people calling you a fool, then perhaps you should not publish long stories about yourself acting like one.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
billpalmer said:
... When I went out and bought the shuffle, it opened my eyes as to how messy/silly/sad the whole third-party iPod retail experience is, and so I decided to share what I'd gathered with others.
You obviously don't do much shopping.

This is the same experience you get in consumer/retail stores no matter what you're buying.

You could've been trying to buy an HP printer, or a copy of MS Office, or a Kodak camera or a copy of Doom, and you'd have the same experience.