Some of the keys on my MBP are falling off.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DudeMartin, Dec 26, 2013.

1. DudeMartin macrumors regular

I bought a 13" MacBook Pro in February 2011, and I have used it a lot. I do lots and lots of typing, and over time I have noticed that the keyboard has been showing signs of wear and tear. It has gotten to the point where the individual key "coverings" (the plastic rectangular pieces with the letter of key) are falling off. Before, I would just snap them back into place, but some of the keys have fallen off so much that I am no longer able to snap them back into place, they just fall off again.

I have tried calling an Apple Store and used the official Apple website for support, but for both cases I need to purchase a single incident of support for $20 just to ask what are my options, which is absolutely ridiculous. How they monetize product support is disgusting. Anyway, hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction, free of charge. What can I do in this situation to get my keyboard fixed? Because I think repairing individual keys may not be an option anymore, I think a full keyboard replacement is in need. Where would I go for this? How much (ballpark estimates OK!) do you think this would cost?

Thanks a lot.

2. john123 macrumors 68020

john123

You can make an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store. There's no charge for those, even if your machine is out of warranty. They'll take a look and then let you know what your options are.