Some people buying iPad for ease of file sharing with the Mac. If I use Windows or Linux...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Oct 5, 2017.

1. hajime macrumors 601

I read that some people use iPad because it is easy to share files with the Mac. In case I switch to Linux and Windows, will it be easy to share files between Windows/Linux and Android tablet which I already bought?

2. 960design macrumors 68020

Very true.
    Hmmm... linux, windows, android... you may get better answers in forums dedicated to those operating systems.

Or have I misunderstood your request?

3. KingZorb macrumors newbie

I use dropbox to easy share files between my Mac, my work Windows PC and my iPad/iPhone. Not sure how well dropbox supports linux, but there are several alternatives for file sharing between Windows PCs and iPad/iPhone.

4. greywolfe macrumors member

greywolfe

I've used Dropbox to share files from Linux systems. What I do, if creating in Libre Office, is create the file on the Linux system in Excel format.

5. 960design macrumors 68020

@KingZorb & @greywolfe:
    Why would you not use Apple's iCloud? Just log into your account online and access your iCloud folder?
    This would seem preferable to a 3rd party service.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Just use Google for contacts, photos, calendars, drive, &c. I have no problems using it to sync Windows, iOS, macOS and Android. Haven't tried Linux. It's probably a little bit more work to setup. Other than that all should work fine.

Use Lastpass for passwords. Way better than Keychain.

7. KingZorb macrumors newbie

Two (minor) reasons why I use Dropbox over iCloud: 1) we use Dropbox a LOT here at work, and I am just a creature of habit. 2) the iCloud thingy for Windows really struggles with my photo library, so I just didn't get in the habit of using it.

I also use Microsoft Onedrive a bit between my systems, but haven't really used it anywhere as much as I have Dropbox.