Some People Change.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by NickZac, Oct 13, 2012.

1. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Many people here have said that it's important to be able to empathize with others; I agree. This guy really impressed me. He went from someone who was a hateful person to someone who invested effort to gain an extensive understanding. If we could convince people to expand their worldview like this guy, IMHO the world would be a better place. I'm not sure where I stand personally in faith, but I think if Jesus exists, then he would be damned proud of this guy. The only thing I wish I could figure out is how to bottle this guy's spark for his desire for understanding and distribute it to others. So here's something uplifting...

2. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Really puts the perspective "walk a mile in someones shoes before critisizing them" into context. Interesting read.

3. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

One taboo at a time, I know. But, for the sequel, I would like to see one of these folks:

spend a year working with a paleontologist. I honestly can't imagine how anyone who has been outside in the west, or at least visited, say, Dinosaur National Monument, can imagine the world to be a only few thousand years old.

4. vega07 macrumors 65816

Thank you for the great share!

I think his story has the potential to bring over a lot of anti-gay Christians over to the right side of history.

5. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

I think that it was pretty brave of the guy to do this. I'm not particularly religious and my family and friends would probably be fine with it, but I could still never do what he did.

I recently had a friend tell me that he thinks he's gay, so that has sort of given me a different perspective as well. I used to use "gay" as a synonym for "stupid" (just being a punk teenager, you know), but I've really stopped doing it since.

Still, I don't think that the die-hard Bible people will learn to accept gays anytime soon before they're dead. According to them, the Bible says what it says, and there's no getting past that.

6. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

We need more stories like this...maybe we should have a thread for people working in religious contexts to break taboos and move towards enlightenment?

Great story.

7. Andeavor macrumors 6502

The funny thing is, even Jesus would tell them ' it's just a book, relax.'

I think that walking in someone else's shoes for a year is a great idea but it's also unnecessary because the mere willingness to do so is already a sign of acceptance, all the exercise is doing is convincing your conscious self the other person's life is just as important than yours.

However, you will never really understand the inner workings of these people, only what the impact of the world outside has on them, but living among "them" alone is already a step in understanding their plights.

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

There kind of is? The bible says you should/should not do all kinda of things, a lot of them currently illegal, heck it contracts itself all over the place.

I've never bought the whole "my religion tells me to be a bigot" excuse, people are homophobic as they are raised that way and they fall back on a few extracts from the old testament to justify themselves rather than own up to their own crap.

Heck, you'd think jewish people would be just as homophobic though by and large they're largely accepting of homosexuality despite considering the old testament one of their holy texts.

9. NickZac thread starter macrumors 68000

NickZac

I agree with you but I think someone who is a super religious Christian (especially from the school he went to which is as far right as you go) accepting homosexuality is a bigger jump than accepting evolution.

I agree this story has the potential to show others what really is moral, and I think it also marks the beginning of some serious change.

The day that a person who once called gay persons fa***** without even thinking can cry after truly realizing how hurtful hate like that is and then changes his ways, is one hell of a good day.