Some pics of the new 17" MBP at Macworld

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HLdan, Jan 8, 2009.

1. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

In case anyone is interested, I took a few pics of the new 17"MBP. My gosh it's the most beautiful and surprisingly lightweight machine I've seen. It's incredibly fast. This model was configured with the 2.93Ghz processor and 256GB SSD. It was so fast it launched iTunes 1 second with many apps currently running. It was a bit warm but that's understandable with so many apps running. There were no models with the anti-glare on the show floor. The screen bezel is much thinner than the 15".

Attached Files:

2. dingus macrumors member

Having to wait a month to get my mitts on one of these shiny bastards is like a thunderpunch to the pants.

I hate you, Apple.

3. abz786 macrumors 6502

me being a poor student and probably not going to see one these bad ass boys in my hands for years is due to apple pricing them so hi!!! :-(

not complaining bout the price just that saying, IM BROKE!!! :-(

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Looks nice, but there is no way I'm going to buy a 17" again. (At least not in the next few years).

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Totally agree, we had to wait already for it to be released :p come on Apple! I love my current 17" but i need an upgrade :(

6. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Welcome to life! :D

Same here. I can't buy one until it gets a quad core processor in there, like the other PCs on the market and the ones that were introduced about four months ago.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It wont be getting quad core for a year, but id love that too, i just cant wait for Snow Leopard and the 100% speed increase its going to bring :)

8. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I hope it doesn't take a year since every PC 17" has the option for quad core with little added cost.

But then again, we are talking about Apple here. People will buy anything with a shiny apple logo, right? :)

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Yeah, a year because firstly Snow Leopard has to come out, then all the marketing mumbo jumbo to do with that then the quad cores, they wont release them both at the same time simply for marketing reasons. Also its going to be a while before the range of i7 quad cores is small and cool enough for Apple laptops which are practically melting anyway so its going to be a good while, its not a small refresh or speed bump.

10. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

11. SmokyD macrumors regular

12. detz macrumors 65816

Quad-core is useless to 80% of the people using the computer...if not closer to 90%. I too am eagerly awaiting the release of this beauty. The only hard decision I have to make is to whether get the glossy or "matte". :D That's a decision I'll gladly make.

Thanks for the pics -- it's like torture though! :p

13. HLdan thread starter macrumors 603

HLdan

I made an error everyone. There is indeed a "matte" 17"MBP unibody at Macworld. I took pics of both the matte and the glossy side by side. I will post pics later tonight.

14. Mercellus macrumors regular

Looking forward to seeing them! :D

15. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

I like the design of my unibody MacBook. I love the 15'' MBP. But I really dislike the design of the 17''. The proportions are all wrong. The old 17'' was somewhat good, but this one is not that great.

16. Mercellus macrumors regular

How so? The proportions look fine to my eyes...

17. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

size?

18. late show macrumors member

Advice needed:

I buy a Macbook Pro every 4-5 years (its a big investment for me) I need to know if now FEB 08 is the best time to buy this machine?

I know were all guessing here, but I have seen many posts stating that they will only buy the unibody pro when Snow Leopard comes out. why? to save $129? or is there another reason? surely if SL comes out in Aug it will work on all previous machines?

Then there is this Quad core/Nehelem biz...The 2006 core duo does feel like the last gasp before big change...my current 2004 15" 1.5 PB is ok and I might be willing to wait a bit longer,but not until 2010:(, however if the new Macbook Pro 17" with Quad core/Nehalem esp. optimized for SL came out in this spring/june...I would be bummed out.

Any Ideas?

19. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

there will be no Quad core MBP coming in the spring. Buy now.

sL will work on the new ones.

this is the best time to buy.

20. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

:eek: Subscribed!

21. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

The best advice is if you need it now, buy it now. If you can wait, there's always something newer, shinier, faster, and better around the corner.

I'm one of the Nehalem/Snow Leopard hold-outs, and it's mainly because I can afford to wait. My current Core Duo MBP works just fine. A Quad core chip in the MacBook line is probably gonna have to wait until after Snow Leopard comes out (because of Grand Central) and time for Apple and Intel to figure out how to make it all work with optimal battery life. Nehalem is scheduled for notebooks this fall, but who knows if Intel might delay it into 2010 or later. With Windows 7 Beta 1 already as stable as it is and word at CES that it's the most stable and release-ready beta Microsoft's ever come out with, guaranteed Windows 7 is coming out soon and Apple would be foolish to hold off on Snow Leopard debuting after this year without some damn good reason.

The minor speed bumps come every few months, so there's no harm in waiting if you can. Mobile Nehalems are too far off if you definitely want it before 2010, but waiting for Snow Leopard might be worth it, if only to eliminate the need to buy an upgrade.

22. SmokyD macrumors regular

Agreed. There is no real need to wait unless you don't mind holding out. If you're not concerned about price, a maxed-out MBP with SSD is going to be mind-numbingly fast, and you can get Snow leopard later.

But if you don't mind the wait and want to cut down costs, I'd wait until SL and I'd put a solid state drive in it when it's a bit cheaper. They are super fast and are worth the extra $$ imho.

23. late show macrumors member

SSD...hmmm I didn't know they were faster/better...just more durable (no moving parts)

from apple's site:
    can I change the drive later when the price comes (hopefully) down

24. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

no, they do run a bit zippier!

25. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

SSD Drives do run faster, a lot faster, they run at 40,000 RPM compared to 5400/7200RPM for standard mobile hard drives.