Some positive Presidential election threads?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by neiltc13, Sep 15, 2012.

1. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

As I look through this forum I am struck by how many negative threads there are about Romney and Obama. I have no idea what either man's policies actually are because all I read here is just something someone posts because they want people to know how bad the guy they don't support is.

Why are there not more positive threads about the policies of these people?

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This would require people in politics to actually act like adults instead of 5 year olds fighting to see who's going to be in charge of the kindergarden classroom.

3. vega07 macrumors 65816

Forums like these reflect the media, since posters often inititate threads on what they read online. You can say that our media covers whatever the campaigns focus on, and that is negative campaigning. Bashing the opponent has been the mainstay of the political game for quite some time now.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Well gee, I would love to post something positive about the Republican party, but considering the Republican members of congress want to focus on abortion over jobs, and considering that Republican Governors are trying to steal the election, and considering that Romney is trying to buy the election and is absolutely dismal on foreign policy, there's not much positive to say!

Neither candidate has been super specific on what they would do exactly over the next four years, and Romney is even harder to pin down because even if he gives you a policy on something he reverses course on it. (I'm repealing Obamacare, I like parts of Obamacare, I will keep some things, no, I'm back to repealing it all again).

So that's why you don't see positive threads about the policies. Because they are either unknown or they change so much that they are a moving target.

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I know its difficult to maintain hope in these dark times, but take heart in the fact that the search for intelligent life on the Internet is yet quite young...

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Are you blaming us because you haven't done your own homework?

If you're not a U.S. citizen, then it's forgivable that you don't know their policies.

However, if you are a U.S. citizen ... that's a pretty lame excuse.

7. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Taxes and the economy

I am voting for Obama for his economical stance. Obama favors cutting taxes for the middle class and trying to reduce the deficit by raising taxes on the millionaires and billionaires in this country. For those making less than $250,000/year, he wants your taxes to go down. Our economy right now is suffering from a lack of demand. Consumers are trying to save because they do not have as much cash as they used to. The best way to boost the economy is to put more money into hands of the most Americans as possible and they will then go out and buy things that they want. When they buy things, it then puts more money into those working at stores, own small businesses, etc. who will then go out and spend it...

The ultra rich have been coddled far to long and wealth disparity has gotten so large that it has stifled the economy. I will be voting for the economic policies that make more sense to the health of my nation.

P-Worm

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It seems to me the choice is fairly straightforward: Obama is trying to even out the disparities in life quality and opportunity so that the middle and working class do not disappear, Romney believes that reducing the scope, intervention, and costs of government will be good for business and the economy (FWIW I don't believe that the Austerity Fairy will revive an economy that crashed due to deregulation of the banks and corporations). There is a lot of negative comments about the candidates because each side of the debate believes the other side is a manifest threat to the well-being of the US. It is a genuine disagreement between two groups of people who care deeply about the future direction of the US. I suppose the good news is that the debate can be had - even with negative campaigning and comments - without the violence we see in so many other polarized societies.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

10. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

If they did, they wouldn't get any votes. There are serious and capable people in politics (I think) but the votes will always go to the ones who get the most publicity, who are better at talking to crowds, to the best showmen.

When there's someone serious and with experience, the common judgment is that he lacks the leadership instinct needed to lead a nation.

Your (our) fault, not theirs.

11. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If you're looking for the candidates' stated policies, you're looking in the wrong place.

How about, oh...the candidates' websites? They'll be glad to tell you all the wonderful, positive things their policies will bring about.

If you want context (however imperfect) for those policies, read articles on a mainstream news site like CNN or McClatchy. If you want diverse opinions on those policies, read the op-eds of those same news sites.

But this is not the place I'd look to form an opinion. This is a place where people, already having done all of the above things, go to express it. This is the public's op-ed place.

As to why it's mostly negative...all I can say is, experience. We've become accustomed to lies, empty promises and falling short of aspirations. What we do feel is that the other guy is certainly capable of making things worse.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That is the heart of the problem. What do we, average citizens know about Obama or Romney from other than what we get from the media? We are all placed in a situation where we must decides what sources of information are reliable and base our opinions on them.

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think that this type of campaigning is typical of two party politics.
    We in the Netherlands might be a small country of just about 16,600,000 people but we have twenty political parties. Fourteen of which have a seats in the parliament, and as no party can ever win a majority, we always have a coalition government. This leads to consensus, which is not possible if you have run to many negative campaigns.

15. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I could not have stated this sentiment any clearer.

[sarcasm]
    I sure love politics and politicians!
    [/sarcasm]

16. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

But don't you know, Popular and fair voting will never work.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

The candidate's own words
    The candidate's own actions
    The candidate's past history

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

All reported by the media... ;)

19. neiltc13 thread starter macrumors 68040

neiltc13

So if it's all about people's own experiences, why aren't there more threads saying things like "The Republican/Democrat people did these great things in my area" ?

20. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Who likes Firing people :D typical dick

21. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I'm positive that Obama is a dick.

Now we have both made tremendous contributions to the intelligent discourse of this thread.

22. Aragornii macrumors 6502

My God, man, Obama has been president for nearly 4 years. How is it you do not know what his policies are?

Obamacare
    Stimulus
    Afghan surge
    Libyan civil war
    GM bailout

If you like these things vote for the president. If you don't, vote for someone else.

Several things I can guarantee you regardless of who is elected this year:

Taxes will not go up in any meaningful way
    Entitlement spending will not go down in any meaningful way
    The debt will continue to be financed by printing money and devaluing the dollar
    American foreign policy in the middle east and north africa will be largely unchanged and still a disaster

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Not necessarily. You CAN go to a rally and hear the words in person. You CAN read quotes directly from a campaign website.

Media does not need to be involved at all. That being said, you can see video for yourself. Unless someone thinks it is being edited. But then the candidates would complain. So it must not be tampered with. So then what is the issue with things being broadcast over the media?

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm not trying to have an argument, that said, it is through the media in one form or another that we get info about our candidates. We can watch the speech on tv, we can listen to the interview, we can read it in the magazine, and then we can go listen to the opinion show that tells us what we should be thinking, lol. <-funny huh? ;)

25. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Neither of the candidates support gay marriage.
    Neither of the candidates support sound money.
    Neither of the candidates support a non-interventionist foreign policy. (no nation-building, no policing of the world)
    Neither of the candidates support main street over wall street.
    Neither of the candidates seems willing to stand up to principles when the politics gets too hard.
    Neither of the candidates wants to reduce the number of troops we have abroad.
    Neither of the candidates seems to be offering any solution to the great recession other than printing/spending more money.

We're 16 Trillion in debt, with 116 Trillion in unfunded liabilities, our populous is drowning in the false-choice between red and blue, elephant and donkey... What exactly is there to be positive about?