Some programs not opening! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tomo221, Mar 18, 2011.

1. tomo221 macrumors newbie

I just bought a used (but still VGC) Macbook Pro 13", running 10.6.6 out of the box. Worked great as soon as I turned it on. I restored it from a Time Machine backup from my iMac and everything seems to be there (music, pictures, files, desktop aliases, etc), but some programs just won't open! Safari, Numbers, and most importantly Software Update don't come open at all. When I try to update the software, the blue bar goes all the way, and then Software Update just disappears. When I try to open Safari from the dock, it bounces once or twice, and the little light under the icon in the dock appears, but then it goes away and I'm left with no Safari! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Mik3F macrumors 6502

Fresh install of OSX should help out here

Always best to do this with a used computer

3. tomo221 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I have the disc for Snow Leopard - if I use that, all the files/settings should stay as they are now, but it will just revert the OS back to the earlier version, and after that, I should be able to update back to 10.6.6, right? I just want to be sure. Thanks.

4. Mik3F macrumors 6502

You will lose everything, but your Time Machine backup that you used will bring all your data, apps and settings back over

5. tomo221 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm.... I feel like that's what I just did though. The computer came with 10.6.6, and all the programs worked fine. But I when I imported all the Time Machine files, etc, then things got hairy. When I put the Snow Leopard disc in, will it give me the option to wipe everything clean?

6. Mik3F macrumors 6502

Use the disk utility first to erase the Hard Drive. You can tell the migration assistant to bring over your data and apps and leave the settings behind. You can always adjust the preferences afterwards anyway

7. tomo221 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. At what point should I run the Migration Assistant? And through what process can I reinstall the OS... in other words, after I've wiped the hard drive clean, how can I get the computer to recognize/upload from the DVD?

8. Mik3F macrumors 6502

Use the migration assistant on first boot after reinstalling the OS

You can do the disk erase from the DVD. Hold C with the dvd in whilst booting up the mac

9. tomo221 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I'll give this all a try. I think last time I rebooted while holding C but then did a restore from Time Machine - maybe that's where the problem stemmed from?

Thanks very much!

10. tomo221 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I gave it all a shot. Erased the drive, reinstalled 10.6, upgraded to 10.6.6, updated Safari and all other programs. Then plugged in external hard drive, ran the Migration Assistant AND....

It didn't do what I'd hoped. It imported Applications and some random files, but no music, no movies, no settings.

So then I ran the disk utility at startup and chose Restore from Time Machine Backup - waited 4 hours or so as it went through its motions, but then the status bar started going beyond 100%!!! I tried to stop it and restart the computer but it just told me I had to restart over and over. So now I'm just starting over and reinstalling 10.6. I'm basically throwing in the towel here. Any ideas what could be going on?