Some questions about playing some media files on my powerbook G4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nygiants22, Dec 23, 2010.

1. nygiants22 macrumors newbie

I know it's old but it has OS X Version 10.4.11 & my quicktime player is 7.6.4 (PRO) & my Flip4Mac WMV is 2.3.5.4 along with downloading Perian 1.2.1. So why is it that when I trashed my 10 year old PC and transfered all of my videos (mpeg,mpg, etc.) it won't play on my computer still?? I figured I have done everything correctly from reading these types of similar problems but when I click on the file and quicktime pops up it says " the file is not a movie file".

This would be alot easier if I was not deployed at the moment in Afghanistan I understand that but this is my only source of watching movies from home. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Try VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/). It plays just about everything and it's free.
    Just make sure you get a PPC version; not sure whether the latest release is UniversalBinary or Intel only.

3. nygiants22 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you. I'm in the process of downloading it now. What is the difference between this particular link you provided me and the other two programs I downloaded that I had mentioned in my first post? Any help would be thankful. And if this works would it be ok to delete them or should I keep them on here?

Thanks again !

4. nygiants22 thread starter macrumors newbie

so I downloaded the application successfully and it says " you can not use this application "VLC" with this Mac OS X"..

What is my next step if you don't mind me asking.

5. nygiants22 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

7. nygiants22 thread starter macrumors newbie

do I download the "Universal binary"? or the "Package for Intel-based Macs (0B)"?

or

Package for PowerPC-based Macs (0B ?

what do these do since I allready installed the VLC program

8. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Your PowerBook has a G4 processor which belongs to the PowerPC processor family. So you have the choice between the PowerPC package and the UniversalBinary, which contains both PPC and Intel code.
    These two packages will work on your PowerBook.

9. nygiants22 thread starter macrumors newbie

this actually worked and thank you very much for your help.

10. flatfoot macrumors 65816

You're welcome. I'm glad I was able to help you.