Some questions on the feel of the Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blitz817, Jul 12, 2008.

1. blitz817 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask some questions about the Macbook Pro. I have wanted one very badly but want to clear some stuff up. First, how portable is the Macbook Pro? By portable, do you feel that you are lugging something around the house or is it almost unnoticable. Second, is the battery life actually better on the macbook pro compared to the macbook?

Thank you so much guys

2. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

It's very portable. The size difference between the 13'' MB and the 15'' MBP is not very big because the MB has more extra space between the screen's end and the end of the actual case holding the screen. I find it very easy to carry around, no trouble. Battery is good but I'm not sure how it compares to the MBP.

3. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

I suppose it depends upon what you need it for? If your plan is to walk around your house holding it one-handed and typing with the other hand... well, that's not going to work.

On the other hand, for example, I'm in a city other than my home this weekend, looking for apartments. I have carried my MBP into at least 20 different Starbucks to get wifi access to craigslist. I've carried it (always in an incased neoprene sleeve) both by itself and in a laptop backpack, sometimes walking 10 blocks with it. While I wouldn't say you don't notice it, per se, I also can't possibly complain about the inconvenience...

So my conclusion is that it's totally portable. But, on the flip side, I know that my buddy who as an Air would argue that mine is HUGE.

So it really all comes down to personal opinion, I think.

4. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

I guess you could really say it depends on what you're coming from.

Before this, I had a 15" Toshiba that was about 2" thick and weighed a lot more. I got used to lugging it around, so this thing felt great!

My wife has a 6 year old Dell that is still cranking along and it weighs a TON compared to this, so she loves it when she gets to borrow it!

So, yeah, the Air is amazingly small and light. But if you need power and portability, you really can't go wrong with the MBP.

5. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

The main reason I got the pro over the regular one is because you get so much more built in (GPU, DVI, backlight KB, LED screen, etc) and it's only .4LBs more. so is it a little less portable than the macbook, yes. But is it worth having the extra screen space, more ports, better screen, graphics and longer battery life, I think so.

6. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

I'm 7 Feet tall. I weigh 400 pounds, of pure muscle. I won Mr. America 4 times in a row. I beat Shaq in arm wrestling. I find no trouble carrying it around.

7. nephilim7 macrumors regular

I'm 36, very fit, 5' 11" and have zero problems with the mbp 17". I walk all over downtown with it.. coffee shops.. I bought a desk to use it on but I almost always end up doing most of my work on a couch or the floor or a small coffee table. it's solidly built as well and easier to carry that any other taptop I've used. I've cracked the bevel on 2 dells by using too strong a grip while I'm moving it around.

there really isn't a drawback to the mbps weight or size, it really is that good.

8. amusiccale macrumors 6502

To me, the MBP feels about right for its size. The Macbook feels a little heavy for its size--the weight difference between the two is not as much as you might think...but if you have a long walk, it would make a difference.

9. new-Mac-owner macrumors regular

Get the Pro Worth Every Penny,If you have Problems carrying it around better see a Doctor Jk,But go for the Pro:apple:

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

The MBP is remarkably portable, especially when you compare it to the Windows PC counterpart (of equal spec) that's often heavier, thicker, chunkier, less sleek... oh the list goes on!!

Personally I like the MacBook more!
    Especially the white unit...

Unfortunately, there are some things the MacBookPro does better, even with a external screen attached. In terms of battery life... You can actually buy a third party battery (for MacBook Pro) that offers more life!! Particularly useful of your using it on the road, for extensive amounts of time - currently this option isn't avaliable on the MacBook.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm a total wimp; I'm 5', weigh 100 lbs, never seen the sun and I can carry the 17" around my mother's basement.