Some quick way to exchange a URL

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GreatBigBore, Feb 1, 2012.

1. GreatBigBore macrumors newbie

I'm looking at a page on my iPhone's Safari app. My MacBookPro is sitting nearby and I want to look at that page on the laptop. Is there some quick, easy way to send a URL from my iPhone to my Mac? Or from Mac to iPhone? I know I can use email, but I'm wondering if there's some quicker, easier way.

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Bookmark it. They sync with iCloud.

3. mattraehl macrumors 6502

In theory this should be the right answer but in practice I have found it takes a couple minutes for the bookmark to show up (unlike changes to contacts, calendars, reminders, photostream, app downloads, music purchases, etc, which all happen in seconds). In iOS the only way I have found to force a bookmark sync is to go into the settings and disable/enable bookmark syncing. Haven't checked if there is a force sync option in OS X. Sadly it's faster and easier to just email a link. (Or use whatever method you use for syncing notes - built-in Notes app, Evernote, some dropbox text editor, etc)

4. cainnovacaine, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

cainnovacaine macrumors regular

cainnovacaine

Convert the link to a QR code with a browser extension, they should be quick and on all platforms. I know people don't use QR codes often but I seem to find a lot of use for them lately. I even converted my WiFi settings and put it on my fridge so friends could sign on with their phones and tablets so I don't have to coach them through finding a hidden network and entering the password. QR is the way to go.

[Revised: I apologize for reading that wrong]

5. TBR macrumors 6502

Not quite what your after...

....but this does it in reverse, use a bookmarlet on your mac/windows machine and then open the bookmark on your phone.

http://airlinkapp.com/

Quite handy.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is what 'Reader' in Safari is made for. That would be preferable to bookmarks.

However, as someone else said, iCloud syncing isn't instant. So neither Reader nor Bookmarks are ideal for the OP. But if a few minutes don't matter, 'Reader' is the way to go.

OP: E-Mail really is the fastest thing I can think of. Not the easiest, but it'll be the most instant.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

This is one example where it would be GREAT if apps like iMessage were available for the desktop.

That said, maybe an IM client, IMing yourself the link, would work?

8. lartius macrumors newbie

Ansible

I frequently use an app called Ansible. Works great to send stuff between my iphone/ipad/macbook pro.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

ANother, possibly easier way to do this: make a bit.ly account, and paste the link there. Then, log into the site on the other device and pull up the link in your history.

10. MastahRiz, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

MastahRiz macrumors 6502

The fastest for me have been copy and paste the link into Notepad app on the iPhone which then syncs with gmail, or just copy/paste into gmail and then save as a draft. Then I can pull it up on my computer or any other. It's low-tech and unimpressive, but it works.

11. cainnovacaine macrumors regular

cainnovacaine

Okay, I can vouch for this. I also set up the bookmarklet. This app totally rocks!