Some say schools giving Muslims special treatmen

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dswoodley, Jul 27, 2007.

1. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Not an anti-Muslim rant, just an anti-religion in school rant

Link

I am concerned with Gunn's quote. What freakin' purpose does a prayer rug (like a crucifix) serve aside from religious purposes? None. What is so difficult about it? Those objects have no value to any non-religious person. Generally I can appreciate the ACLU's no religion in school stance. I am religious btw, but if people want to learn and be a part of a religion they can go to church, temple, or mosque.

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I think the main issue is are the rugs and foot baths a symbol of the religion?

Clearly they are objects used in the practice of the religion, but symbols carry more meaning and act as agents to promote the religion. I'm not sure the foot baths and the prayer rugs could be said to do the same. If the same institution were installing the foot baths and denying Catholics the right to carry a rosary, then we'd have a problem.

At the university level, I don't think it's an issue. Many public university campuses have interfaith practice areas that morph into zendos, temples, churches, etc. depending on who's using them. When the christians are there, they put up the crucifix, then take it will them when they leave. Lather, Rinse and Repeat.

3. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll agree at the university level it's not as much of a problem, unless government funds end up being used to enable the trend - which includes the creation of special facilities.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm right there with you.

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Absurd.

These aren't symbols of their religion. The only symbol is that of the Kabbah and when I think of the Kabbah I'm reminded of the scene with the monolith from the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey. If you've seen the movie, you'll know what I mean.

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Agreed...although I suspect, in the case of the foot bath issue, we may be talking about use of something like a "student association fee" being used for this particular instance, with the student government approving projects that reflect the Dearborn area's large Arab population.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Some of this seems to be a bit of overcompensating, possibly helping by a lack of understanding of said religion and the very real persecution some are experiencing. But no, a lot of this is going a but too far. No one should be against someone being allowed to express their religion in a free country, within legal and ethical limits of course, provided no one else's rights are trampled on. This should all be a given. Allowed to pray, not forced to or forced not to. Perhaps even giving a little leeway to allow certain things that may seem unorthodox to the rest of us. But no one said we had to all go completely out of our way for the minority any more than we would for the majority, who I actually don't blame for feeling a little restricted themselves in cases like these.

Difficult issue. Equal rights when all things aren't equal. Don't think they're quite going about it right either way.

8. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Let's face it. The authorities are afraid that if they squash Muslim rights the way they squash other religious group's rights, people will start blowing up.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Would you care to provide evidence of what "other" groups' rights are being squashed?

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Some people think that if they can't force their belief's down other's throats, they are the ones being oppressed.