Some Slate 5 vs Gold 5s photos for you

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Sep 26, 2013.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Enjoy

Attached Files:

2. SAVAGE5 macrumors member

SAVAGE5

I bought the Grey 5s and returned for Gold. Slate looks so much better IMO

3. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Yeah the space grey was really unappealing to me too when I saw it in stores.

I have gone back to my 5 and returned the 5s. The camera low light performance was better, but it really didn't seem like much/any difference otherwise. And in decent lighting, the shutter was quicker on 5s but not anything I had to have. The screen was a bit warmer, I prefer my 5's calibration though they were really close (by chance, its a screen lottery -- read my other posts).

The home button also felt really bad to click, and sounded bad too. Not a good design. And still not interested in fingerprint scanning.

I took some pics before I sent it back. And I was just done with trying to make some money off the gold ones, eBay scam the second I put it up and a headache of a day. Wasn't worth it, and literally almost no local demand for it (craigslist)

4. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Slate looks better than Space Gray, but I wish Gold were available as black and gold. Not into white iPhones.

6. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

I felt this way when I put them side by side too

7. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Glad to see other people who don't find the space grey as appealing. I honestly think its a huge downgrade from slate.

8. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Did the same upgrade....here's my old 5 with my new 5S side by side (before I wiped the 5 and passed it on to my wife).

Attached Files:

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

While I do slightly prefer the slate, I must say, whatever they did to the space gray to make it not scratch on sight was a welcome change by me. I ended up with a space gray and am pretty happy with it. Snagged a gold for my wife, and while I kind of wanted gold myself, I don't think I will be returning this phone. For one thing, I like having our phones look very different. She had a black phone for years while I went with white. She always complained that I got the "pretty" phones. So I gave in and spoiled her with a gold day after launch (no luck launch day). Happiest I have ever seen her in terms of gift receiving. :)

10. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I went from a slate 5 to a gold 5s. I am finding the white face refreshing as I've always had a black face. I'm keeping my 5 jailbroken on 6.1.2 and debating selling it like that if I can nab a bit more for it. I don't see myself wanting to go back. I have never locked my phone, so with the Touch ID I do feel a tad better having it locked. Speed was never an issue with the 5. I don't feel any big difference in the buttons or anything. I was looking forward to the Slo-mo mode on the 5s. I haven't had time to play with it yet, but I am overall very happy with the change.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I wouldn't call it a huge downgrade as it's very possible that Space Gray wears much better than Slate over time and it's a throwback to the original iPhone. Nevertheless, many of us upgrade yearly and Apple is going to mix it up with colors next year so it's not a big deal.

12. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

that is the type of lighting where the GOLD really shines...

that's what I like about the gold, different lighting brings out different tones

13. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I'm tempted to return mine for a gold version.

What I like most about the silver and gold versions are the ring around the home button. It's a nice accent and I wish the one on the grey was the same color as the body instead of the same color as the screen.

14. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Loving my Space Grey... Black is the way to go when it comes to phones for me.

15. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

I just find it too eye catching, on the chamfered edges from the front.

And the contrast between the back aluminum middle part and the black glass.

It tries to pay homage to the OG but fails miserably imo and ends up being some kind of ugly 4/5 offspring.

16. billycuth macrumors 6502a

Space Gray FTW!

17. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

18. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

I *HATED* the new touch id/home button click. Felt so bad and stiff.

----------

I think I'm keeping my phone on 6.1.2 even after iOS 7 gets jailbreak. But we'll see.

19. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Looking at these photos of the devices sandwiched together definitely is making me want a gold/black iPhone.

One can only hope (and be disappointed) for the 6 :D

I'd definitely do a gold/black over this boring blackberry grey poo that's the standard.

20. thecurryman macrumors 6502

What I don't like about thre gold is how in certain lighting, more often than not, the phone doesn't even look gold but rather the silver color! One time I left my room and came back and thought someone has switched phones Took me a minute to finally figure out it was my gold phone

21. kenknotts macrumors 6502

Thats because Apple was smart and made it subtle. If it would have been blingy GOLD, it would have been rather cheesy and laughed at. Love my gold, returned my space gray when I bought it.

22. Charadis macrumors 6502a

After reading this a couple times over...I still can't believe you returned the gold iPhone 5 :confused:

Nice pic btw, prefer the gold

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Definitely. This would've looked ridiculous:

[​IMG]

24. kenknotts macrumors 6502

Yea, that looks ridiculous IMO. Unless you are an oil sheik in Dubai maybe and you want one to match your gold SL65

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. The black/gold would have looked awesome.