Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

destroyboredom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2002
Washington, DC.
I just recently(yesterday) got my brand new iBook and I love it. 800mhz/combo/640. However i do have a few general questions on how things work on the MAC OS.

1. When I install a program, where does it install to? Does it go to a programs folder of some sort?

2. MACS don't seem to have a drag/drop cut/paste feature for moving files around the hard drive. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

My apologies, I'm coming from the windows environment. I used some MACS while in college but didn't have to install anything or do file management or what have you.

Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to have to buy a MAC for dummies book. (i hate those books)

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Re: Some stupid newbie questions

Originally posted by destroyboredom
I just recently(yesterday) got my brand new iBook and I love it. 800mhz/combo/640. However i do have a few general questions on how things work on the MAC OS.

1. When I install a program, where does it install to? Does it go to a programs folder of some sort?

2. MACS don't seem to have a drag/drop cut/paste feature for moving files around the hard drive. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

My apologies, I'm coming from the windows environment. I used some MACS while in college but didn't have to install anything or do file management or what have you.

Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to have to buy a MAC for dummies book. (i hate those books)

Most installs go to the applications folder, but you can choose of course.

And... you can most certainly drag folders and files around? o_O

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001

1. The program goes into your Applications folder as the default unless you change it to go to another.

2. Just click onto the file and drop it into the folder or harddrive. That should work.

Hopefully this helps you out. Congrats on the New iBook

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001

ok you can drag and drop, or if you want to copy paste, select the file, go to edit, copy and then go to the folder where you want to paste it and go to edit again and paste it. I don't think that was there before 10.0.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
(1) seems pretty much answered.

For (2), you can literally click on the document you want to move/change the directory of, and then drop it into a folder by clicking on it, holding down the mouse button, and moving the mouse, thus, the document, to wherever you want it. This is called "dragging". You can also drop the document into a folder by dragging the document over a folder, which will become highlighted, then releasing the mouse button. The file is inside the folder. You can also do this with folders, files, movies, etc., which are not part of the system software.

To duplicate a file, click on it, then either
(A) Go to File > Duplicate
(B) press and hold the Command button (left or right of spacebar one key), while typing the letter D.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Can't you customize the toolbar at the top to have cut, copy, paste functions in it? Or control click (right click if you have a 2 button mouse) for the contextual menu like Windows? Pardon my ignorance, but I've only played with OS X a little and currently run (ugh) Win2000 (what can I say, it was free). My last Mac got to OS 9, the one before that was at 8.5, and my next will probably be OS 10.3 at the rate I'm going.

And remember, there are no stupid questions... only stupid people.

(Disclaimer: not that I am calling you stupid. Asking is the best way to learn. Plus you bought an Apple, so you must be a fairly intelligent individual :D)

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
Cut/copy and paste functions are all under edit menu in the finder. And are all have the same letter commands as they do in windows the only replace the crtl key with the command/apple key. And it is Mac not MAC. Not that I care but there is a far share of rather anal Mac users here that might jump on you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.