Some things even science can't explain

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by EvilQueen, Sep 26, 2014.

1. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Are you kidding? It was probably something very close to the camera (bug/moth) so it was out of focus/see-through, moving in a way that happened to look it was moving across the picture.

This isn't rocket science, folks.

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Jeez no wonder some people are so easily fooled into believing in religion.

3. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

He looks like he put on a few pounds since I last saw him.

4. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

6. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Science == Mexican Law Enforcement

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You mean science doesn't know everything? Such a revelation! :p Btw, do you know someone who believes that science currently knows all the answers?

For reference, I'm open minded to the possibility of spirits, still looking for substantial evidence though. Those types of videos are always intriguing. :)

8. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

They can be. I saw one on the news a couple of years back that couldn't be explained away as a bug or dust. It was a dark figure that actually pushed open a set of double doors. This video is just ridiculous.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Police in Espanola, New Mexico.

Yeah, it's a moth or just a mote of dust. And, science does explain this, it's called Pareidolia and it's the same reason people claim there's a face on Mars.

One thing that's interesting about Cydonia is that as our imaging ability increases, we can see that the shadows and highlights that made the face weren't really there.

10. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Alright, guys, lay off. So science could, in fact, explain this one measly thing. There are still plenty of other things science cannot tell us, and when explanations are found for these things, I'm sure it will be through religious means. Kind of like how Apple videos usually include a segment in which Bob Mansfield elaborates on devining methods for smaller chip fabrication by praying to blood-soaked idols.

11. aaronvan, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

12. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Judging from the crappy video quality I'm guessing this is an old analog CCTV system. If so, such a system can be prone to "ghosting" or "ringing", which happens when a tiny bit of one signal from one camera-location bleeds over onto another camera signal. Cable connections corrode or cables get loose, causing a minor impedance mismatch, and the result is about the same as a "ghostly" double-exposure that grandpa used to get on his old analog film camera when he forgot to roll the film to the next frame before taking his next shot.

13. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

I think the bigger mystery is what happened to the OP after their post title was shown to be false.

14. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Searching for other articles to provoke the communist atheist liberals.

15. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Why are we always relying on using supernaturals explanation for things we don't understand yet. What is wrong with not having knowledge of something ?

16. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

There's probably a perfectly reasonable explanation for it.

[​IMG]

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The visuals of that meme would still work if you replaced "aliens" with "zombies".

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Three comments: First, it is scary that those guys are cops, and that the news people are news people. Ghosts? Burial sites?!!?

Second, regarding the title of this thread: throughout the history of science, there has been an ever-increasing number of things that are "unknown"-- questions that were not even known and would not have been understood previously. It is a funny thing about science -- as things are discovered at one level, a whole host of more subtle questions arise. It isn't Science that says it has an answer for everything. You must have Science confused with something else.

Third, we don't have enough information, but, it does look like an old analog video system, and the effect does look like ghosting from another signal. Have people already forgotten about analog TV? (I guess the answer must be yes.) There is a reason "ghosting" was called "ghosting".

19. dec. Suspended

dec.

Print posters, tell people it's the ghost of "jesus", make it a New Mexican "Lourdes", there are plenty of idiots around that will swallow it and buy bottled dirt scraped from the "holy ground".. Espanola, the new Lourdes?

(and no, science cannot explain THAT! :) )

20. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

The similarities between believing in religion and ghosts is funny. They both either ignore or just aren't aware of the scientific reasoning to explain something so they make a leap and make something up to explain it. :p

----------

It's terrifying to them for some reason. Their egos are too big to admit that just maybe we don't know everything right now, and there's nothing new to discover.

----------

Religious people tend to not understand this concept.

"Oh! But scientists were wrong about this one thing 50 years ago, so why should I believe what they say about the age of the earth? On the other hand, my bible never changes so it must be true!" :rolleyes:

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Sometimes dead is bettah.

22. EvilQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

What does religion have to do with it? I didn't say anything about religion.

----------

Sorry I don't live on here? And nothing has been proven to be false.

----------

That is my point. Some people on here don't understand that.

23. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Nothing has been proven to be supernatural here. You haven't provided evidence that the video isn't some glitch of some kind. You haven't provided evidence that science couldn't explain it. It's your claim that science can't explain it, that make's it on you to provide evidence that it can't.