Some things got ruined in iOS 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I updated to iOS 5 recently and while I like the new additions, there are some things that IMO they ruined in iOS 5.

For example,

Why is a blue frame around thumbnails in the Photos app now? iOS 4 used to have a very neutral gray frame.

The Notes' font has been ruined, I think Noteworthy is what I used in iOS 4, it's terrible now.

The "Slide the view/read" in the notifications is misaligned, the text should be lowered.

I hate that Safari addressbar fade in.

They've added a scrubbing note to the YouTube app when you seek but now it seems it's harder to tap on that seeking dot.

They've also added a store button in the Music app, frankly, I don't need it at all there.

2. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Ruined is bit bit strong... it`s a handful of UI elements you don`t like. :rolleyes:

3. Cod3rror, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I don't like them, hence those elements got ruined for me.

4. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

What blue frame are you talking about? I really can't see it.

Notes: go to Settings > Notes > Select Font (it's standard selection is Noteworthy - you must have changed it)

Slide the viw/read notifications misaligned: uh what? You mean at the lockscreen? It's not misaligned... it's exactly in the middle.

Safari addressbar fade in: there's an alternative app for that.

YouTube app: I never use the build-in YouTube app. I agree with you that it is ******.

Music app: there's no "Store" button in my Music app

5. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

[​IMG]

No, no, I know how to change the fonts, it's definitely changed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. QuarterSwede, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's still grey on mine. ... Doing a little recessed/pendant lighting remodel in the kitchen ;)

Attached Files:

7. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Interesting... could you please check your Photo Library and any album?

P.S. remodeling is fun! :D

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

There isn't.

Change it back.

??? No idea what you're referring to here.

Are you talking about the feature that slides the address bar up if you're scrolled down on a page, to open up more browser area? If so I like it, but to each his own.

Yes, I get that occasionally too. Seems only when you first bring up the time bar, continued use after the first time is smooth for me.

Never noticed the difference, if you say it wasn't there in 4.x I'll take your word for it.

----------

Photo Library and Albums are all grey border for me, just like QuarterSwede's.

----------

Now that I look at the fonts, I think that it used to be "Marker Felt" instead of "Noteworthy"... can't be sure. "Noteworthy" seems a little more readable though.

9. Busymom23 macrumors member

10. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

You get out much? In the scheme of things -- these are so minute as to not even be worthy of mention.

Perhaps you should spend more time enjoying how well the whole thing works instead of nit picking minutia . . .

Oh yeah -- the sun finally came out today, and I intend to enjoy it.

11. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

It's NOT changed. I compared my iPhone 4, still running 4.x, to my 4S viewing the exact same note and they were identical.

I think you might know how to change fonts but you might have not realized you were using Marker Felt before iOS 5 and not Noteworthy. Marker Felt was the default Notes font. Heck at one time it was the only font available for Notes.

I have no idea where you are seeing a blue border but count me as another one who does not have it--or even see it in the pic you posted here.

Aside from the Store button in the music app, which can be annoying as it yanks you out of the music app, the rest of your points are rather minor and I would even say unnoticed by most people. You might want to reserve the term "ruined" for something that actually matters. (Well, unless your name is Monk in which case it all makes sense. :))

Michael

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

As the others have said they're all grey. I was showing you the Photostream to prove it was iOS 5.

13. rajjkamal macrumors newbie

TheSpaz? is that you? :D

14. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

[​IMG]

Does anyone find it strange that someone so concerned about the minute--if not invisible--details of graphic design drew an arrow that looks like it was drawn by a pre-schooler? That ruined it for me.

Michael

15. matt90036 macrumors regular

well we pay premium price for quality.

16. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

Okay... the photo borders are grey to me. It may be just panel variance from the factory, I dunno. Unless if it was much more grey pre-iOS 5. I do know grey and blue are very similar to each other, in terms of human perception.

The video scrubbing note, IMO, it is a LOT harder to use vs my old iPod touch 1G, I'll say that. I blame it on the notification drop down, and hope Apple tweaks it in the future.

I have not experienced the "slide to read" missalignment (I'll be fair, I don't have any email synced to my iPhone 4S), however, unless if was animated, there is no reason why it should be misaligned.

As for everyone else... guys/gals... this is an Apple product. It shouldn't be wrong, IMO, to expect extreme attention to detail from both Apple, and it's users.

17. HKUSP.40 macrumors regular

No blue borders on mine either...

Font is perfectly legible for me.

I wouldn't have ever noticed that.

Still not sure what you mean by address bar fade in. When I open Safari, the address bar instantly appears, there is no "fade in."

I have no issues hitting the dot. It helps to somewhat hold your finger on the dot for a split second before sliding it left/right.

Having a Store button allows users to go straight from their music to the store to purchase more music. How does this not make sense to have this button? If you don't like it..don't click it :confused:

18. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Frankly, I'm disappointed, it's being proven more and more than most Apple fans really are iSheep, that are sold by the brand instead of what this company is all about, perfection and attention to every tiny little detail.

What do you think makes iOS so "magical"? It's the small things, combined that make the UI absolutely amazing.

Anyways, back to the topic, here is some more pre-schooler drawings...

Left iOS 4, Right iOS 5

What none of you have noticed is that Apple has changed the fonts in iOS 5, there is no more "Chalkboard" font, which I liked, a lot.

[​IMG]

That fade-in I talked about in Safari.

[​IMG]

The Blue frames.

[​IMG]

The problem with that is that the button is located on the left hand side, so when you're quickly going back up through stages, like Songs -> Albums -> Artists, the last button that shows up is "Store" which you'll tap on by mistake.

19. OafTobark macrumors 6502

OafTobark

dude, bring that top line you drew down to the top of each letter that doesn't have a taller line like a 'd' or 'l' or 'h'.

its even.

20. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0.1 installed and I do not see the blue frame you talk about in the Photos thumbnails.

In Notes, I use Marker Felt. I can remember as mentioned earlier when there was no choice in fonts for Notes. At least we have a choice now. I don't doubt what you show in your later pics, but you talk about using Noteworthy, but show a post of a pic using Chalkboard. Not sure what you mean there.

As another poster said, you don't measure font from the high (l,t,d,b) or low (g,y) letters, you measure from the baseline to the regular letters, so it is even spacing.

Don't mind the Safari piece you show, it beats the 3 dots to show there is more text in the Address bar.

I don't use YouTube, but if you do, I say you can complain about things.

I agree the Store button can be a pain. I have hit it before if I get in too big of a hurry to go back. Just take your time. When I do, I find I don't press it.

21. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

At first I thought both iOS 4 and iOS 5 had the same set of fonts, except the Noteworthy font looked different between them, turns out, that there was no Noteworthy font in iOS 4, it was Chalkboard, which got replaced by Noteworthy, why couldn't they just keep both and have 4 fonts to choose from?

I can understand regarding the slider, but it still looks off, considering it's a static and a permanent text, I wish they'd lowered it.

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Chalkboard was taken out in 4.3. Possibly earlier. Not new to iOS 5

23. HKUSP.40 macrumors regular

Calling people "iSheep" because they don't have those blue borders like yours, find the font perfectly fine, don't prefer "..." at the end of a URL vs the fade in (which looks MORE professional IMO), didn't take a ruler to their screens, and don't have ANY problems with accidentally hitting buttons....doesn't make sense to me.

24. Sdreed91 macrumors 6502

I agree small details are important. I didn't notice the font change. But I must say I do not have any blue borders in my photo albums section. What's wrong with the safari fade in?

25. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I can understand you not liking them taking away a font you liked. Personally, I use Helvetica. Clean and simple.

I think the fade in looks better honestly.

Like I said, that's possibly just you for some reason. I don't have that issue.