Some things the G5 might have...

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
So far I've heard about a number of technologies that might be included with the G5/next major update to the G4, unfortunately most of the rumors have been conflicting. So, what does everyone think the G5 will have? Here's the possibilities I've been able to find in the rumors:

ATA100
ATA133
Serial ATA (150)

FireWire2
USB2

HyperTransport
RapidIO
3GIO

DDR266 ram
DDR333 ram

266MHz bus
400MHz bus
500MHz bus

Single Processor
Dual Processors
Quad Processors

Dual Core

Clockspeed

(I would have made a poll, except that I would have had to make 5 seperate polls for the different categories)

My current guesses are:
any of the ATA ones (I hope serial ATA, but I'm not sure)
FireWire2 and USB2
RapidIO
DDR333 ram
500MHz bus
Single Processor
Single Core
1.25-1.75 GHz

Rockridge

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2002
Re: Some things the G5 might have...

Originally posted by Catfish_Man
So far I've heard about a number of technologies that might be included with the G5/next major update to the G4, unfortunately most of the rumors have been conflicting. So, what does everyone think the G5 will have? Here's the possibilities I've been able to find in the rumors:

ATA100
ATA133
Serial ATA (150)

FireWire2
USB2

HyperTransport
RapidIO
3GIO

DDR266 ram
DDR333 ram

266MHz bus
400MHz bus
500MHz bus

Single Processor
Dual Processors
Quad Processors

Dual Core

Clockspeed

(I would have made a poll, except that I would have had to make 5 seperate polls for the different categories)

My current guesses are:
any of the ATA ones (I hope serial ATA, but I'm not sure)
FireWire2 and USB2
RapidIO
DDR333 ram
500MHz bus
Single Processor
Single Core
1.25-1.75 GHz

Apple will beat all!!!!!!

But does this mean that anyone who buys a mac today is buying yesterdays technology?

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Re: Re: Some things the G5 might have...

Originally posted by Rockridge
Apple will beat all!!!!!!

But does this mean that anyone who buys a mac today is buying yesterdays technology?
Well, the new iMac is a perfect example. By the time it hits the stores as it should be, the G5 would be out already if Apple continue like this.

ilikeiBook

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
Clock speed

I'm hoping for 2.4, 2.6, and 2.8 Ghz G5 with a 500 Mhz bus for under $3500!

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Bay Area, Ca.
Speculations...

I've been looking at stat pages and such for a while, and am more than positive apple will do something much better than what everyone has right now.

If they're going all out for power, as I've seen, G5's should, but not guaranteed to, hit the light at 1.5-2.5ghz. I have no specific idea, but it seems VERY scalable to high speeds.

The G5 is being speculated to use DDR, while QDR (quad data rate) might also be possible, however, I'm not sure if they're going that path, or down the accelerated dram (PC500/500mhz SDRAM), which would run at bus speed.

The hard drive system is unknown, could be ultra160, could be ultra320. Gigabit ethernet is definate, a high powered dvd-r drive is possible, and probably a revised geforce 4.

From what I can see, processor architecture is simple "Your mileage may vary" since the rumors are varied. A dual core would be nice, but still probably out of reach. I am guessing a dual/trio/quad setup available, possibly carded.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
According to old sources, which were expecting the G5 for MWSF in Jan. 2002, the G5 would be like the Velocity Engine in the G4, except the G5 could match 256-bit. Also, according to sources (not my own) the G5 and OS X can support 32 processors and 16G of RAM. Finally, I have heard that the G5 will start out very expensive since once it is announced the price tag of the G4 will drop.

I would like to see the G5 with DDR-RAM and even in Powermacs supporting a DVD-RW drive (my own quiet rumor).