Some thoughts on 5S Slo-Mo Recording

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -Garry-, Sep 22, 2013.

1. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

Hello,

No criticism of Apple intended - just something I found that I thought I'd share.

As we know, the 5S rear "iSight" camera can record 120fps videos and play them back at 30fps for a slow-motion effect. It's a very nice feature but here are a few things I've found.

- You can only slow down one portion of the video. You cannot speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down.

- It appears to be a bit of a lottery whether or not the slow-motion effect stays in place after the video is moved to another device. I know if I import the video to my iMac (running Mavericks!) then it plays in Quicktime with a 'SloMo' button I can turn on and off at will.

- Videos recorded using the SloMo mode are taken at 720p and appear to be quite heavily compressed. The quality between these and videos taken with 'Video' mode are light night and day. It's tempting to take all videos in SloMo mode 'just in case' but be warned that the quality really suffers.

:)

2. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Interesting post. I only did one video in slow mo so far and imported through iPhoto on mountain lion. When I imported it was not in slo mo. I'll have to play around with it some more.

3. -Garry- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

This is what you get in Quicktime on Mavericks...

Attached Files:

4. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Thanks for the image. I just did another few tests myself. If I import through iPhoto or image capture, it only plays at normal speed. If I use imessage and send it to my mac it then plays in slo mo. Haven't tried facebook, instagram and such.